SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canadian_rose

great new rose book!

14 years ago

I'm reading a new rose book (Right Rose, Right Place) that I got for Christmas by Peter Schneider. It reads like a book someone here might write. All of the pictures are from his own garden and every rose is one he grows. He's from Ohio zone 5. What I especially like about it is his humor and that he tells it like it is. For example, when talking about the rose Variegata di Bologna he says,

" If you are lucky, and care for this rose well, you may receive three blooms a year (not three cycles, three blooms) each borne individually on top of a gangly 11 foot cane. And if you are one of those gardeners who likes to stay on top of diseases, this once can help you out. 'Variegata di Bologna' will show powdery mildew before any other rose in the garden, and it has attracted rust to gardens that had never seen it before. ...Variegata di Bologna' retains the ability to shock us on the day it finally blooms."

He also has a fair representation of every class having grown over 2,000 rose cultivars in 30 years - so there's lots about old garden roses. At the end of each rose description he describes where the rose would best fit - eg - as a free standing shrub

He includes zones, year hybridized, whether it suckers or not, how thorny it is,

He also suggests Allflex markers and labels.

Out of all the rose books that I've read (many, many) I have enjoyed this one the best - for his honesty, humor, knowledge, etc.

Buy this book!! :)

Carol

Comments (27)