SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deanneart

The Flume Gorge - Oct. 9, 2008

deanneart
15 years ago

HI all,

What a splendid day Doug and I had yesterday. The weather was absolutely perfect, the colors in the mountains at the absolute peak of perfection. Even though we are coming up to the busiest of the "leaf peeper" season the traffic wasn't bad at all and there weren't crowds of people in the Gorge. There were only a couple bus loads of tourists in while we were there and one was a group of Jr. High School age and they quickly outwalked Doug and I and one was a retirement tour and we quickly outwaked them so I was able to take scads of photos without bumping into too many people.

For those who've not heard of our gorge here is a blurb from the visitors bureau.....

"A natural chasm takes visitors from the Flume Visitor Center on wide gravel paths and wooden walkways through covered bridges, past waterfalls and through the 800-foot long gorge with its sheer 90-foot walls. Scenic pools, glacial boulders, and mountain views. Discovered in 1808, the Flume is a natural gorge extending 800 feet at the base of Mt. Liberty. The walls of Conway granite rise perpendicularly to a height of 70 to 90 feet and are from 12 to 20 feet apart."

After walking about 1/4 mile through a wooded path you come to this covered bridge over the Flume Brook which runs through, and cut the gorge. It is a tributary of the Pemigewasset River.

{{gwi:182986}}

A short hike from the covered bridge will bring you to Table Rock, a 500 foot long by 75 foot wide piece of Conway Granite that has been eroded by the Flume Brook for thousands of years. The grante has been carved into these beautiful ripples and the water flows in a thin silvery sheet over the granite.

{{gwi:182988}}

{{gwi:182990}}

Continuing on up into the gorge the trail follows along the brook....

{{gwi:182992}}

{{gwi:182994}}

And further along there is a series of bridges and then finally a catwalk that clings to the sides of the gorge.

{{gwi:182996}}

{{gwi:182997}}

The catwalk brings you to Avalanche Falls at the head of the gorge

{{gwi:182998}}

Continuing along the trail winds through lovely second growth hemlock and beech forest. It's the most beautiful golden yellow this time of the year.

{{gwi:182999}}

The trail again crosses the brook with beautiful views....

{{gwi:183000}}

And further along the trail crosses over the Pemigewasset River where it forms a deep pool--40 feet deep and 150 feet in diameter...

{{gwi:183001}}

And another view from the trail....

{{gwi:183002}}

I've included a link to the complete gallery of 33 photos I posted from the hike through the Flume if you've got the time to take a longer 'tour'.

Enjoy!

Deanne

Here is a link that might be useful: The Flume Gorge

Comments (15)