SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amldaley_gw

Adjusting growing area to winter temps???

amldaley
16 years ago

Hi all,

This is our first fall and winter in the house we are in. We moved in last May. The house has a very open floor plan, which means it is hard for me to heat the whole place!

In summer, thermostat was between 70 & 76. Now, with colder temps, we have been keeping the thermostat between 65 and 70 (Usually around 68). Most of my orchids are near windows to take advantage of sun and night & day temp differences. I have closed the vents near near the growing areas in the summer to prevent cold air blowing right on them.

Now, with colder day temps and night temps outside close to freezing, I have having a hard time controlling temps in my growing area.

My 1 vanda is in our bathroom which has a huge south-facing glass block window. She hangs in the window over the tub and has been doing well until the last two days when it has been down-right cold in there at night. Temp maybe as low as low 50's. High temp in day for that room is maybe in mid to high 60's in later afternoon.

So, being relegated to work with the existing space I have at home and with no budget really for improvements...

I am considering moving ALL my orchids to the bathroom to use the big south facing window and keep the door shut and heat just that one room appropriately. But I have mostly Phals and some Cids. Will they get enough light in a south facing window? (They are currently in east-southeast windows). Temps would probably be ok for the Phals, but this is my first year with Cids.

I have one Phal and one Cid still in bloom (Phal has been blooming for 5 or 6 + months now and Cid just came in to bloom about 3 weeks ago). Also, has a Dort in bloom but she is on her way out. Should I keep the blooming plants in their current locations?

I would love any ideas from folks who grow inside without the use of dedicated spaces or greenhouses.

Comments (8)