SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_871924

Movie Season

Pidge
16 years ago

So many movies, so little time. Just this upcoming weekend, I would love to see The Great Debaters and Cassandra's Dream and There Will Be Blood is on the horizon. I think Denzel will win out, but it's so hard to choose between so many promising films.

The last two films I've seen most recently are Atonement and The Kiterunner, both excellent and somewhat similar in theme in terms of the actions of young folks when they have no understanding of the implications of their actions. But there is sure a big difference between England in the years before and during WWII and Afghanistan/Pakistan in contemporary times.

Atonement is so beautiful in its early scenes and its depiction of the rarefied lives of the British moneyed class. I don't want to give away too much of the film, but it's all about class and the way the wealthy close ranks when threatened by the lesser folk, even a young man like Robbie, played by James McAvoy, who has been educated by the family for whom he works and expects to go on. But once he is suspected of a crime he actually did not commit, there is no hope for him, in particular any chance of choosing his own future. The child who falsely accuses him--you can see this coming long before it happens--spends the rest of her life coming to terms with the damage she causes. The story seems simple enough on that level but it's the plot twists and turns, the cinematography, the tensions and pacing that provide the film's wonder. There is one scene on the beach at Dunkirk where British soldiers are located in the middle of a carnival that is surreal in its beauty and in its commentary of the absurdities of war. McAvoy is even better in this one than he was in The Last King of Scotland, and Keira Knightley is as good as she is in every film in which I've seen her. Wait until you see her in that green dress early in the film. Some nice surprises, including a brief dissertation at the end by Vanessa Redgrave on the relation between facts and fiction and what audiences expect and/or really want.

A critic I read said that folks who have read The Kiterunner will be disappointed in the film--the old which is better, book or film, debate. I try never to engage in that because the genres are so different and have different demands in bringing them to fruition. That said, I loved the film as film and also as a very good rendition of the book's central themes of love, betrayal, redemption. The actors are unknown to me so I can only say that the two kids who play Amir and Hassan as children are both terrific, the men who play Baba (he looks a little like Omar Sharif in his day) and Rahim Kahn looked like I thought they would look, and the actor who play Amir as an adult was much better than I was led to believe. The cinematography is awesome--the grandeur of the landscape, the beauty of Kabul before the Russians and then the Taliban turned it into a giant slum with people selling their artificial limbs and Shar'ia law causing behavior that would be hard to believe if that young woman wasn't recently condemned to 200 lashes and jail for being raped (I know she's been pardoned but that doesn't change the fact that she is certainly not the only woman to whom such a thing can happen)--Baba working in an American gas station, the drab CA apartment after the best home in Kabul. And the sky filled with kites is such a beautiful image of the innocent sense of freedom felt by the kids. That image lingers over everything else that happens, at least it did for me, and the ending reinforces my feeling about it.

More to come, folks--hope you get to see some of these superb films.

Comments (25)

• Pidge
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I may already have written about this next film, so if I have, sorry to repeat. No Country for Old Men, another Coen Bros. film that really rocks. The film opens with wonderful long shots of the West Texas desert landscape and then, as the camera moves to closer scenes, the murder and mayhem begins as humans become part of the space. I heard the film compared to another Coen film, Fargo, and described as much darker than the earlier film (the pathological killer in this one is even more grim than the one in Fargo). And it is. The film begins with Tommy Lee Jones's voiceover about how the world has changed since earlier times when life was simpler and folks didn't carry guns, etc., and what it's like in the 1980's (when the film is set), only a few years after the Vietnam debacle. Jones's father and grandfather were also sheriffs, like Jones is, and there are superb evocations of the generational connections.
    At the center of the film: Josh Brolin plays a ordinary guy, a welder, who lives with his wife in a trailer. Brolin picks up $2,000,000 he finds at the site of a massive gunfight in which 8-10 Mexican drug runners have been killed. And from there on it, it's a duel between him and the killer who wants the $$$. Sounds simple enough, doesn't it, but the twists and turns are mesmerizing, and the Coens create tension so thick one is practically drilled into the theater seat. These filmmakers are superb editors, and there is not a single superfluous detail, and nothing, ever, that is obvious or even foreseen. There are scenes in this film that are hard to watch but from which I found it impossible to turn away. I really need to see the film again because it's so intriguing. I want to really immerse myself in what I saw to understand more clearly how the Coens have put it all together. I lost count of the bodies left behind in the film, and I'd be interested in keeping all the homicides in order.

I love Tommy Lee Jones, and he does not disappoint here, either--oh, that craggy face and subtleties of expression. I only wish he were onscreen more than he is. As the world-weary sheriff who is seeing a world he never imagined could exist, he is both cynical and naive. As good as he is in this film, he is even better in In the Valley of Elah, by far the best film I've seen this year. I'd like an Oscar for Jones and one for the film in regard to Valley.

But this one is good enough to stand up to most of the stuff that's around, including a couple of really fine films: Michael Clayton and American Gangster, to name just two.

There is a subtle political subtext here that is depicted as paradox. Set just after a war and determined to show how that is one factor that has altered the American psyche, the film also makes clear that what seems like change to an "old man" has always been present, or at least nascent, in America. One can't help but wonder what the paradox suggests about America's vision of itself, its past and present. For Jones, it really is "no country for old men," but his father and grandfather also faced difficult change. Very cool film despite the bloodshed, maybe because of it.

As for Sweeney Todd, I just saw it about 10 days ago and really liked it. But there is enough fake blood gushing out of slashed necks courtesy of the "demon barber of Fleet Street" to float a small boat, and the cannibalism isn't very appetizing, yuk, and then add the ovens that are reminiscent of Auschwitz--you would be under the theater seat!. I love Johnny Depp in nearly anything he does and he's excellent in this rather weird film--Stephen Sondheim and Tim Burton together are not going to produce anything remotely ordinary. Depp's voice isn't bad, either, and there is a duet with Alan Rickman (the villain) that is really good, as is a fantasy scene where Helena Bonham Carter imagines herself with Depp as a couple--just lovely in terms of costumes and eerily pleasant beach scenes at total odds with the actual lives they are living. The film is dark, dark, dark,. Nearly drained of color except for the red of the blood that is ever-present, the cinematography contains almost everything in small spaces and then draws back with some long shots that place the horror of the barber in a large context of what London was like in the mid-19th century. Very cool trick.. Of course there is no happy ending--Depp can't keep killing all those people despite his desire for vengeance after 15 years of false imprisonment in an Australian penal colony without getting his comeuppance. He seeks vengeance for the wife lost to him when the judge falsely sentences, and while it's ironic, it's not wholly surprising when the lost wife, now reduced to a life on the streets, gets in his way.

A central theme is loss of innocence, not exactly earth-shattering, but well-done in terms of the folks who represent it. Sweet Anthony, the young lover, seems to be the only character left untouched by the horror all around him, though I guess the young woman he rescues comes close. Yet there is a young boy who, by the end of the film, is now portrayed with the same dark-rimmed eyes we see on characters whose innocence is forever dashed. Overall, an awesomely gruesome but fascinating look at the lengths to which a man will go in his attempt to redeem that, which once lost, can never be redeemed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• wandaredhead
    16 years ago

pidge,

Certainly enjoy your take on films.
    Unfortunately, I never get to see any mind/soul searching films at the theater.
    Always have to wait until come out on cable.

My film experinence this holiday season will consist of "Water Horse" tomorrow in the company of my son, age 12, and 9 grands - ages 8 weeks, 3 years, 4 years, 5 years, 9 years, 11 years, 13 years, 14 years and 15 years.

Provided I survive this adventure, "Ratatouille" will be next.

Please send sunflowers my way.
    LOL

• Related Discussions

How about current movies of the season?

Q

Comments (8)
    Sweeny Todd is very different LIve because there is extra music sung by the Chorus. Some of the chorus sung piece(s)??? were cut from the movie with permission from Stephen Sondheim. I've seen the musical a few times, last put on by the Australian Opera as their "token musical" This year they are doing My Fair lady as their token musical Not a Movie, but looking forward to getting the latest series of The Wire when it becomes available. Reading articles from the New York Times, watching The wire and other stuff from HBO, then reading about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and looking at my wallet shrink, no wonder people get distorted views about your wonderful country.Sorry for going off topic but this is after all the conversations page.
    ...See More

Sleep Apnea

Q

Comments (8)
    So sorry I went AWOL concerning this thread. Three very horrific events in my world in seven days. Robin, Sorry to hear about your Mom. To be perfectly honest, I'm still not 'used' to wearing the CPAP. I still hate it but can't imagine sleeping without it. There are still nights when I wake up and sling the mask halfway across the room. I have tried every mask they make. I think that most of it is 'mind over matter.' You just have to be determined. Once your Mom realizes how much better she feels, hopefully, she will make up her mind to do it. When you first start wearing CPAP, the wind pressure takes your breath. Depending on how severe your apnea is, the air pressure is varied. It's like a wind tunnel forced up your nose. After a couple of weeks, I didn't even 'feel' the wind. I would have to check to make sure the machine was on. Have your Mom email me if you think it would help. Maybe I can give her some suggestions that have worked for me.
    ...See More

Babel (film)

Q

Comments (1)
    Bump
    ...See More

Movie season!

Q

Comments (3)
    Yo, Lilo, I know going to the theater is not really an option for you adn the video store is your venue. Hope you get your equipment fixed soon because there is a lot of great stuff out there!
    ...See More
  • Pidge
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL, Wanda! According to the reviewers, most adults will be put to sleep by WH, so maybe you'll miss most of it. But Ratatouille is worth surviving for. Take a sunflower to the theater with you today and tuck it close to your heart from me.

Wanda, how come you can see those films at the theater and not the adult ones?

• mwoods
    16 years ago

If any of you have Netflix or rent DVDs..you have to see Waitress. This is one of the most charming movies I have ever seen. It's a sweet film,with a powerful message and the main character whenever happy,sad,angry,jealous...makes the most wonderful pies you have ever seen. It's funny and poignant. I don't think it made the main theaters,not sure. A group of us went,not expecting too much and we all came out of the theater with the biggest smile and just plain feeling good.

• andie_rathbone
    16 years ago

Pidge, I wondered where your movie reviews were this holiday season & now I see you've spent several days "in the dark" as Gloria Swanson says in "Sunset Blvd."

I'm longing to see "Atonement," but I fear I'll have to wait until NetFlix can send me the DVD as it's only playing at the two Angelica theaters in Dallas & that doesn't bode well for it to pop up in any of the theaters here in Hooterville.

Just checked out my NetFlix queue & lots of movies are on tap for release in January & February - good news for combating winter cabin fever that can attack even down here.

I'll second Marda's recommendation for "Waitress." It's definitely a feel good movie and Andy Griffith is a treat as the crotchety owner of the diner where Keri Russell works.

• Pidge
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I agree with the spin on Waitress. I expected very little when I went to see this film and got a lot more than I thought I would. Yes, Andy Griffith is terrific in the film.

I had hoped to see Charlie Wilson's War on Christmas day but the gods conspired against me. Maybe next week--but then again, maybe not because there are so many good films on their way.

• andie_rathbone
    16 years ago

I can't believe I beat you to a movie Pidge. I saw "Charlie Wilson's War" this afternoon & really liked it. Before the 2000 Congressional redistricting his Congressional district was just south of here - & he lived in Lufkin about 70 miles southeast of me. Lots & lots of people around here knew him & there has been lots of stuff in the news about him surrounding the release of the movie, which, I'm told, doesn't tell the half of his many shenanigans, so I was anxious to see the film.

It definitely has a message, but unlike some of the movies recently release (i.e. "Redaction," "Silence of the Lambs," etc.)it doesn't beat the message into the audience with a Louisville slugger. Rather, it uses cynical humor to make its point. Tom Hanks is great as Good Time Charlie Wilson, a man who holds markers from many, many members of Congress because as he puts it - as long as nobody takes away my constituents guns or raise their taxes too much, they're happy. He, therefore can vote yes on bills that affect other areas of the country & keep track of all the favors that re owed to him.

Julia Roberts plays the right-wing Houston socialite who has made Pakistan & freeing Afghanistan from the "Soviet yoke" her personal crusade. She matches Charlie wheeling deal for wheeling deal. They make quite a team.

And Phillip Seymour Hoffman has Oscar nod all over his performance of a not so typical CIA agent who is on the outs with the "company" bureaucracy and is assigned to the Afghan desk (along with three other lonely souls) as punishment for telling his superiors to f-off.

Together these three unlikely allies manage to weasel $500M dollars out of a secret defense appropriations fund to fund the Afghan counter-insurgency. If you want to know why earmarks happen in big defense department appropriation bills, this film explains it all.

It also explains why we're good at war, but not so good at the peace. And all done, not with a sledgehammer, but with a lot of humor and a lot of heart. Go see it with a big tub of popcorn.

• leaveswave
    16 years ago

Thanks for the reviews. I added a few of these to my Netflix queue and marked those with 'icky bits' as 'not interested'. Looking forward to the enjoyable-sounding ones!

• wandaredhead
    16 years ago

I SURVIVED!!!

It was not bad at all.
    I even treated them to dinner at their favorite Chinese buffet.
    "Water Horse" is a real cute movie.
    I will be buying it when it comes out on DVD.

pidge,
    I don't go to 'adult' movies because I don't have an 'adult' movie-going buddy.

Mr. Man and I have such DIFFERENT taste in films we haven't gone to a theatre together with "Bronco Billy" with Clint Eastwood.
    Pretty sad, huh? LOL

Actually, Mr. Man actually hasn't gone to a theatre since then.
    They won't let him have control of the remote.

• Lisa_H OK
    16 years ago

Has anyone gone to see PS I Love You? We went yesterday. It was good -- sad and funny. I felt a little bit bad because one of our group is a widow whose husband died very early. It's been 15 years, but I'm sure it stirred up a bunch of stuff for her. For me, I loved all the Irish men! I'm a sucker for charm. Hillary Swank is an interesting choice for the lead. It's different seeing her as a girly girl.

We went to see National Treasure on Christmas. Oh my goodness, I've never stood in such a line to see a movie. Very Good. Lots of action, lots of improbable stuff, but so fast paced that it just sweeps you along.

Lisa

• mwoods
    16 years ago

Wanda,just once try going to a film alone. It's amazing how much more you can get into a film when there is no one you know sitting next to you. Even if it doesn't seem like a distraction,it is.

• sheila
    16 years ago

I liked "Waitress" too. I also liked "Into The Wild" a lot, I'm still think about it sometimes and I saw it ages ago.

• tisha_
    16 years ago

I saw I Am Legend and also Juno over the holidays. Someone up thread said that they didn't go to the movies because they don't have an adult movie going buddy... why do you need a buddy? I saw Juno by myself. I actually prefer seeing some movies by myself.

Anyway, I liked Juno... it is what it is. It's not Oscar worthy or anything by any means, but it was a good watch.

I Am Legend on the other hand... I did not really enjoy.

• andie_rathbone
    16 years ago

I often go to the movies by myself. DH & I have totally different tastes in films & sometimes I just go on the spur of the moment to an early matinee. There are always lots of other people there by themselves &, upon occasion I've run into another friend also flying solo.

• wandaredhead
    16 years ago

I don't go to the movies alone because the stranger seated next to me probably would not understand being appointed as my 'elbow person.'

I have narcolepsy.

My family and friends all know to keep an eye out and they self-appoint as my 'elbow person' when they sit next to me...whether at church, in a vehicle, airplane, movie, seminar, etc., or to just let me sleep and wake me up when it's over or we get to our destination...they give me a poke in my ribs with their elbow.

I have gotten a lot better over the past 3-4 years with change in lifestyle, medication, etc.

I stopped going to 'big church' without my daughter.
    The last time I flew solo (thanks for that term, Andie), I was standing for prayer at the end of the service, fell asleep while standing and almost fell over the balcony.

About 3 years ago I was allowed (by my physician) to drive no more than 2 miles at a time.
    Now I can drive 30-45 minutes with no problem if I time it right.

So, that's why I wait and watch them at home.
    I can rewind to the last scene I remember watching and start watching again, rewind, watch, rewind, watch...

• Pidge
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, Wanda, that explains your desire to watch at home on your own terms. Thanks for telling us.

This weekend it's There Will Be Blood with Dniel Day Lewis. I am practically salivating with anticipation.

• andie_rathbone
    16 years ago

I want to hear about that one. I know it will never play here in the East Texas oil patch.

• mwoods
    16 years ago

Heck Wanda,that must be awful at times. What on earth did you do when you had babies and couldn't fall asleep and had to be ever watchful?

• wandaredhead
    16 years ago

pidge,

When I reread this, I see my fingers are as bad as my mouth...don't know when to shut up.
    LOL.
    Guess you really weren't asking for that much information.

Marda,

At times, it was very hard.
    I had to constantly move.

The narcolepsy has gotten worse with age.
    My neurologist said the older I get the worse it'll get.

• wandaredhead
    16 years ago

pidge,

When I reread this, I see my fingers are as bad as my mouth...don't know when to shut up.
    LOL.
    Guess you really weren't asking for that much information.

Marda,

At times, it was very hard.
    I had to constantly move.

The narcolepsy has gotten worse with age.
    My neurologist said the older I get the worse it'll get.

• Pidge
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wanda, I hope you don't think I was being snarky? I really am glad to know there is a real reason for not going to a theater alone, and I do think the rest of are concerned for you and any issue you must endure. You are a central figure here, you know!

I have a friend who went through a period of narcolepsy but has been able to control it with meds. Is that a solution for you? I'm sure there must be many different variations on this syndrome.

• wandaredhead
    16 years ago

pidge,

Oh, no, no. I didn't think anything like that.
    At times I tend to run on and on and on and ...
    LOL

I first remember symptoms of narcolepsy when I was 18.
    I had problems with symptoms on and off for years but really didn't put the 2 and 2 together.
    I was raising three children, working a full time job, keeping house, laundry, cooking, etc.; all those usual things a young mom does.

As I got older, the symptoms got worse and worse even though I was getting more nighttime sleep.
    To the point I was falling asleep driving 70 mph down the interstate, stopped for red lights, trying to watch TV, etc.

Finally got to the point I was admitted to the hospital for a sleep study.
    Diagnosed with sleep apnea and narcolepsy.

Lifestyle changes, CPAP and medications have made the symptoms more tolerable.

• Pidge
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My friend also has sleep apnea, Wanda, and sleeps with one of those contraptions on her face every night--is that what you mean by CPAP, which is an acronym unknown to me. It's a real pain for her but, hey, what else can you do if you want to keep breathing?

I went through something similar for a long time when I was developing the fistula in my esopha gus--would wake up in a panic and grab for breath. The surgery fixed all that but it was a taste of what you endure.

Take care of yourself--the movies will be there for you. Actually, the one I saw yesterday, There Will Be Blood could keep anyone awake. Abslutely beautiful and absolutely devastating in its evocation of human obsessions and the lure of money and power. See? Once the season is on, I am pretty obsessed myself.

• wandaredhead
    16 years ago

pidge,

I started another thread with info regarding sleep apnea and CPAP.

Seems like I hijacked your movie season thread. LOL

Like your friend, I feel the CPAP device is a real pain in the yang but it beats having a stroke or heart attack during sleep.

During my testing in the hospital I stopped breathing 32 times an hour.
    An apnea episode has to be no breathing for a minimum of 10 seconds.

Among other symptoms, many times I would wake up with my head feeling like it was about to explode...SEVERE headache.
    The sleep doctor said it was due to lack of oxygen.
    Many sleep apnea sufferers have strokes and heart attacks during sleep due to lack of oxygen.

Oh, yeah...I told ya.
    My fingers don't know when to shut up.
    Now, I'll go to the new thread.

It is boring reading but I hope it can enlighten someone who may suffer from this or have a loved one that may.

• Pidge
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I guess if this thread got us talking about an important health issue, it was worth it. thanks for sharing your experiences, Wanda.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions