SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

If they don't bloom - freeze those puppies!

aachenelf z5 Mpls
16 years ago

Well, don't FREEZE them literally and of course this advice doesn't apply to all orchids, but cold temps really seem to be working for a couple of my plants.

I have to admit even though it's been said countless times on this forum that some plants really do need a good chill in order to bloom, some deep corner of my mind just couldn't accept that. After all, these are orchids. Orchids don't like cold. Anything below 55 will make them melt into a puddle of green muck. Totally illogical, but I think that's how my mind was working. I am the victim of stereotypes. EEEEEEEEEEEEK!!

So here's the story. Years back a friend gave me his Pleuro velaticaulis. He couldn't get it to bloom and was tired of having just a green plant hanging around. I was up for a challenge, but my luck wasn't any different. It grew like crazy, but wouldn't bloom. Didn't even show the slightest interest in blooming. I tried everything - more light, less light, warm, cool, more water, less water, rainwater only etc.

Finally this year I decided there was only one more thing to try - really cool if not downright cold. All the other plants came inside this fall except two Pleuros - this one and my restrepiodes - another problem child. If they croaked, they croaked.

I watched them carefully as the temps dropped into the 50's then 40's then low 40's and maybe even a couple of nights in the high 30's. They seemed fine and most importantly the velaticaulis finally spiked. It never even hinted at doing that before.

They're both back inside now - the velaticaulis under lights where the spikes continue to get longer every day. The restrepiodes is in a cold room (40's and low 50's) since I'm still not sure what it's doing - but it is doing something. Those little nubs are changing. Again, it's never done that before.

Moral of story: Can't really think of a clever one, so .....

THE END

Kevin

Comments (14)