SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greentoe357

MSU fertilizer: what a mess!

greentoe357
9 years ago

OK, this is fishy on so many levels... Two Amazon reviewers said in 2012 (http://goo.gl/WdTLIR) that the RepotMe's MSU label dosage was 1 teaspoon/gal, but RepotMe now says, both on their site (http://repotme.com/orchid-fertilizer/Orchid-Fertilizer-Gallon.html) and right there on the Amazon's product image, to dissolve 1 oz/gal. This is a 6 times the difference in concentration! Did RepotMe water down the product at some time between 2012 and now? And if they did, did they also lower the price to 1/6th of what it was? (yeah right!) If you bought this recently, what is the label-recommended quantity to use per gallon now?

Does RepotMe bottle this stuff on their own? Looks like it from the label, and from the fact that it is sold as powder everywhere else. Some people mentioned receiving pink or blue liquid, and round or rectangular bottle at different times... One of the Amazon reviewers was talking about how (s)he was reverse-engineering the powder concentration to use from the label liquid concentration.

Now, other than the product inconsistency and the higher risk of user error, what could possibly go wrong with all this mess? Let me count some other ways.

(1) There are liquid and powder formulations, from different suppliers and of course with different instructions.

(2) There are RO and well water formulas from MSU, with tap water existing somewhere nebulously here-or-there, but not at all anywhere on the manufacturers' labels. In fact, some vendors just call the RO formula "for tap water", and others do exactly the opposite and recommend tap water users to use the well water formula. The consensus user recommendation seems to be to use RO formula if my water is not too hard and the well water formula if it is, but the manufacturer is mum on this.

(3) There's that apparent sixfold concentration difference. How many people do you figure are either severely underfeeding their plants or burning their roots as we speak?

(4) Then there is the issue of the powder being very hygroscopic - it easily absorbs moisture from the air, swells and turns into mush, then into rock if dried out. Then even if you could chisel that mess into manageable chunks, there would be no way to measure the spoons correctly. And even if you grind it back to powder, this might well be a different density powder, so the label instructions become useless. To do it right, you'd have to measure ppm N in the water several times as you gradually dissolve more fertilizer in it - and you'll need to do it every time you prepare the solution. Yeah, that's just not gonna happen.

I WANT to believe in the MSU formula, I really do. I want to try more fertilizers and I've heard good things about it. But it looks like the brand is being managed so ineptly that the risk to my plants caused by all this clusterf#ck of a mess is just too big to accept.

What do you think?

Comments (3)