SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Revitalizing bare root (aka rootless) dendrobiums

xmpraedicta
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Just curious what kind of recipes you guys use to deal with bare root plants that just won't put out new growth. I bought a batch of bare root latouria and nigrohirsute dends from H&R, and potted them up (bad move) before seeing new root growth. The one dend that I didn't pot up and just threw up bare root in a clay pot in my tank (higher humidity, low light) grew roots and a new growth. Everything else has stalled.

With winter coming, I'm anxious to get something going - I'll grow them under high lights the entire winter if I have to, but I don't think they'll make it dormant through the rest of the winter.

I don't know where to buy KLN in Canada which I think is what most of you do. I do have some rooting hormone powder - I'm thinking of dissolving that in some alcohol and then mixing that with water. Any other suggestions? I grow indoors, so placing it under a bench in a greenhouse filled with buoyant humid air is not an option. What, in your opinion, is the most important factor? Warmth, humidity, light, fertilizer?

Comments (16)