SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cweathersby

Lessons you learn the hard way

cweathersby
13 years ago

I swear. I could write a book on all of the pond stuff I learned the hard way AFTER reading all the books on the subject AND building one based on what the books said.

For example-

I wanted to be able to use my pond water to water plants. So when I built the pond, the outflow from the pump goes three places- the biofilter, the top pond, and a water hose bib.

If I want to do a water change, I just turn on the water hose and water my plants with it. I have about 150 roses, and 2 acres of various plant collections.

There are backflow valves on the lines going to the biofilter and to the top pond, so if I want to clean out the biofilter I can turn off the pump, open the drainline from the biofilter, and open the water hose spigot and use that water for my plants. It'll be gravity fed instead of pumped, but that's ok cause the biofilter is a little more elevated than most of my plants.

Or at least that was the plan.

Turns out, I should have used a ball valve or something instead of a spigot. Cause gunk clogs up the water hose spigots! And the plumbing is so tight in that area that there is no way to cut off what I've got and install a ball valve instead.

Little stuff like this is a big deal but isn't mentioned anywhere.

The bad thing is, all the books and all of the forums said to go bigger. So my learning curve is based on a pond with over 11,000 gallons of water!

Oh well. One day I'll use this knowledge somewhere... Maybe a bigger and better pond in a different part of the yard.

I'm starting to realize though that the energy to build this monster garden and monster pond and everything else just isn't there as you start to get older..

Comments (3)