SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lori_carlos

Questions regarding pond clairty and plants

Lori_Carlos
12 years ago

Our neighbour has a rather large pond (maybe 3000 gallons if I had to guess) It runs year round even here in Ontario with our brutal winters. His fish usually survive and it's so amazing but it isn't exactly the same type of pond that I am shooting for. Our pond is only 940 gallons. We have struggled with algae and trying to get the pond clear after having to empty it and start over after losing everything this past winter. We have managed to get it nice and clear but our neighbour has expressed to us that he doesn't feel it should be that way. His is more.... I don't know how to put it, um... green? Not bad green, but more algae etc. He basically said that there are 2 types of ponds, and if we are striving to have a clear pond then we are doing well. I really don't understand what he means. So what I'm wondering is, are there different types of ponds? Also, we have 3 hornwort plants on the bottom of our pond that the fish love to hide in. I would say they cover about 20% of the bottom of the pond. We also have 2 hyacinths and 3 water chestnuts floating around on top. I am planning to get a couple more water chestnuts but what about the hornwort? Should we get a couple more? I understand that the floating plants shouldn't cover more than 60% of the water but what about the ones on the bottom? Can we have too many? What will happen with too many or not enough?

Comments (16)