SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crazy4bass

Advice On Pond Issues (brown muck)

16 years ago

I've got a 17'x11'x18" pond (roughly), somewhere around 2200-2700 gallons (depth is probably an average 18" to 20"). The pond sits between two set of large steps off the back deck (see pics below). From each step there is a waterfall. Basically this is a Lowes special. Each waterfall is sourced via a small pp675 pump and a Garden Treasures PF1600UV Bio/UV Filter. Each filter is rated for 1600 gallons and the pumps are 700gph max. So my assumptions are the two filters should combine to handle 3200 gallons, more than enough to filter the pond, but I'm concerned about the pumps not being big enough to actually turn the water over like it needs to be.

If you notice the pics you can easily see my problem. There is this yucky brown stuff all in the bottom of the pond (looks almost like a layer of silt or sand). I vacuum it out and it'll be back in there in a couple of days. Not sure how to get rid of it.

I should also note that I've not been backwashing the filters so I'm figuring that's contributed to the problem (shame on me for taking installers advice and not reading the manual).

Anyway, couple of questions:

- Pumps/filters. Are they adequate? I'm seriously considering redoing the waterfalls (I hate the tubs) and making them more natural. I looked at a combo unit that includes: Fishmate 3000 PRESSURIZED UV 13W Bio-Pond Filter & Laguna - POWERJET 2000 ELECTRONIC Fountain Pump Kit that's rated for 3000 gallons. Plus it would add the fountain in the middle the wife wants. Any opinions here? My thinking is having the pump in the center of the pond would help circulate it better and keep me from having to tear it up to add skimmer, etc. That could then feed the filter and I'd just split the water return to feed the two waterfalls after it leaves the filter.

Lots of issues happening I understand that. The least of which is correct operation/maintenance of the filters.

- Should I add a chemical to the water? Something like Muck Defense Tablets?

My thinking is, something to help breakdown what's in there and then regular (say every day or two) backwashes might be enough to get the muck out. Problem #1.

Problem #2 is what to do (if anything) about the filters. I don't mind spending the money, I'd reuse the current units on some smaller ponds elsewhere.

There are currently 8 goldfish in there. 5 about 3-4 inches long and 3 newbies, less than a year old about an inch and a half. Tons of tadpoles, a bunch of fry and two frogs.

That's probably enough for this thread (oh and pics are from a couple months ago so everything is dead).

{{gwi:200868}}
{{gwi:200871}}
{{gwi:200873}}

Thanks for the help

Comments (9)