SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pcan_gw

Thinking about installing my first pond

pcan
12 years ago

Hello pond folks!

I am thinking about installing my first pond. I have done a lot of research online and am thinking about a cross between natural swimming pond and regular pond. It will be about 25 x 25 feet with about 50% of the surface set aside for bog plants. I am hoping the plants take care of the filtration for the pond. I am going to install a waterfall which will require 1 pump. I think this is the only equipment I will use. The deep area (swimming area) wont be large, maybe 8 x 8 feet. More of a place for me to just get wet and cool off rather than swim. We have no small kids or friends LOL so there wont be many people in the pond ever.

I can't decide on fish or not. Will fish help keep it clean or help make it dirty?

The pond will be in full sun until my timber bamboo grove to the SW of the pond location and my weeping willow to the SE of the pond location grow full size.

I plan on digging the hole by hand with the help of my trusty husband :) We have a very sandy loam soil with no rocks. But I am still planning on putting old carpet under the liner and smooth river rocks on top.

The depth will be about 6 feet in the deepest part, but quickly taper up to 6 inch.

Question about the bog plants... What do you do with them in the winter?

What do you think of my plan? Is it a sound plan or do I really have not clue?

I'd appreciate any tips you can provide.

Comments (29)