SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Removing sodium from softened water

xmpraedicta
16 years ago

I learned to my dismay that without my consultation a water softening system and a reverse osmosis drinking water system in my house (aka not my house but my mom's house). Now every single faucet in the house puts out softened water. I did some reading, and softened water seems to be bad for plants because of the high sodium concentration, not to mention the loss of other ions like calcium or magnesium. The latter problem I can deal with by adding some epsom salts, but what to do about the first problem? There is a faucet outside which *may* be outside of the softened water loop, but we have no way of telling without taking apart the ceiling in the basement and finding which pipe leads where. Are there methods of treating softened water so it's more plant friendly? Should I just buy crates full of distilled water that isn't chemically softened and supplement it with magnesium and calcium? I guess I'll also poke around and see if I can tap into the pipes for water before it goes into the softener. (needless to say this is irksome).

I have an inkling that the reverse osmosis system water is okay, but I'm not too sure...if the tap water goes into R/O directly, then it should be fine, but if it is softened first, then won't there still be too much Na?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments (18)