SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cathouse9

Help save my fish Filter set up questions

cathouse9
16 years ago

Sorry for long post. My water is so dirty, I can see only a few inches down. It is all suspended junk  there does not seem to be lots of muck on bottom though.

Our pond/waterfall is 5 years old ~ 1400 gallons. There have been several changes over this time but we currently have a Hozelock 2000 biofilter (seen above rocks on right side). There is a Cal pump 4500gph in the pond which then sends most of the water to the top of the falls (left side) and the rest goes to the biofilter, then splits in two over those rocks.

I realize not enough water is being filtered, but the water quality has been very good until last fall. Last summer our 4 koi decided to procreate. There are probably 50 koi in there now. We managed to find homes for about 10 last year, but were stuck with the rest. I just cannot bring myself to kill any  but of course am now facing a water quality nightmare. Free fish anyone?

Seriously, we plan to clear everything out next weekend and install a better filtering system. This is where I need advice. IÂm considering:

a) a larger biofilter placed at the top (behind shrubs) then split 2 ways down.

b) a bead filter? Does this require a bottom drain? Pond is landlocked.

c) other ideas/suggestions

I really need help with this problem I cringe everytime I look at the pond and feel so sorry for my fish!

Thanks in advance,

Caren

Comments (18)