SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmarcel

Do floating alligator heads scare of birds of prey??

13 years ago

A couple years ago we cut down some trees which opened up our yard for prey birds to see our pond. We lost more than 1/2 our fish in a single day then. We live in upstate NY in a suburban neighborhood with a fenced yard. So we don't think it's an animal, pretty sure it either a heron, hawk or some other bird of prey. From what I understand a heron will fish off the sides and hawks will dive. We never see any disruption, water on patio or carcasses in the yard. Does this indicate a diving bird that swoopes down? We have a small fence on the edges of the pond and it's alway in place. Our fish seem to always hide and not come up to the surface, as though they are spooked.

We just put down the netting again after hearing something that sounded like a large bird this weekend. When we went to see there was no sign of anything, but think a couple more fish are missing, and the fish were swimming very fast along the bottom as though something had just happened. We have a large plastic owl we move around, which obviously didn't help.

Does anyone have knowledge or experience with this? I was thinking about getting a floating alligator but not sure if that will work. My ponds not that big so if it's a diving bird I'm hoping the alligator will deter it from entering the pond. I really would love to hear some other people's experience with how to handle this.

Comments (8)