SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firstkim

How long?

firstkim
17 years ago

I didn't want to hijack Andie's thread, but Pidge's reply and another one in another recent thread have me thinking. Are we approaching (or have we reached) the 10 year mark here with GardenWeb and the Garden Party? I'm sure we have to be close.

Dorie, are you out there? Can you help put a date on the start of this wonderful family that has developed over the years, since you had the honor of making the first post?

Does anyone know how old we are?

Comments (21)

• Pidge
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Firstkim, I first signed on in the summer of 1996, so it's been over decade for me. When I got here, the place was already going strong. I can't remember all the names, but I do recall Reb, Ruthanne, YOU, JanetMD, Mary (I forget the rest of her name), Burgundy (who was dumped for trying to advertise, and that has always stuck with me when others get on here and try to do the same), and then my memory goes blank. Also, there was Cookie and Susie (she moved to the West Coast). Can anyone recall all the Chicago grouping? I never made that trip so I'm not up on it all.

Anyway, that doesn't really answer the question of how old we are. But it's more than a decade, I do know that.

• Josh
    17 years ago

I've been posting on and off since late Nov. 1996, or maybe early Dec. and I remember Doug Sims emailing me a welcome and suggesting I post a little about myself on an introductions thread which he said would be "back aways" on the Garden Party forum. He said the Garden Party had started sometime back but had "really picked up at the end of summer".

I don't think I posted on the Introductions thread...not sure I knew how to find it...LOL But I'd sure like to reread it. I posted as joshields then. but like so many here changed my moniker...can't remember when or why.

So yes, Garden Party is over 10 years old. How could we have let that milestone slip by? Does anyone remember how many (few) Forums there were? I remember Favorites...I think that's where the gazing balls debuted.

josh

• Related Discussions

how long oh how long

Q

Comments (3)
    I thank you both for your encouragment. everything is still covered by snow, but it is so nice out that I don't feel impatient at all - IT is coming. And if the hellebore doesn't bloom this year . . . . but what if it does? rebaru
    ...See More

long awaited appliance arrival. how long do i have to wait toplug

Q

Comments (2)
    Best to wait many may hours before plugging in fridge and freezer, to let coolant refrigerant settle down after being shaken in transport. Otherwise they won't work. AFAIK. Later, you can slide them gently across a level floor without uch risk. AFAIK. -david
    ...See More

How Long Is Too Long Before I Start Lowering The Price?

Q

Comments (24)
    What a beautiful place you have. I have a couple of suggestions. One; don't say small bedrooms, just say bedrooms. You have the sizes listed, people can judge for themselves. Really, only one of them seems small to me. Two; your pictures are in no order. You should regroup them. Start with the front of the house and the porch. Then show the inside rooms. Put all of the bedroom pictures together and all of the kitchen together. I didn't see a picture of the bathroom, can you put a picture of it? You don't need all the pictures you have. Next do the putside areas. Cut some of them, like the pictures of the dogs. Put all the barn and horse pictures together. Put all of the backyard/deck pictures togeather. Some of your pictures are too dark and many of them look cluttered. For example clear all the small stuff off your kitchen countertops before the picture is taken. You could get an estimate for converting the smallest bedroom into a bathroom. Even if you don't plan on doing it you could have it to show a buyer. I think a lot of people would perfer a 3 bedroom 2 bath house to a 4 bedroom 1 bath house. Good luck, I hope you get another buyer soon!
    ...See More

How long is too long?

Q

Comments (17)
    Actually I looked at your house and the comps and I think yours shows pretty well compared to most of them. Some are clearly estates with no updates, most have things that some buyers don't like, like multiple wallpapers, most have carpeting instead of hardwood in the LR. Your blue carpet is a negative, but there are similar negatives in almost all the other comps, I think. But--there are about 70 listings in your area and a little over a dozen that are almost identical on paper, including price. It appears that there may be a lot to choose from in your target market. I agree with the other comments: Reduce the number of Kitchen photos to maybe two good ones. The LR photos are very unflattering and make it look crowded. Take some things out at least for the photos. Show the bathrooms even if they are old. Not showing them makes people suspect the worst. Get them to take some of the pictures without the fishbowl effect. I don't know that your agent can pester other agents into providing feedback. My Realtor who has been in the business for 30 years and is a top seller in good markets and bad (I am in Philadelphia area, too), said the business has changed a lot in the past ten years. She feels that in this area a lot of people became real estate agents in the booming period when houses were selling themselves, and they didn't have to do much, including being polite to sellers or other agents--or do much "work" to sell a house. So while it used to be standard to leave a business card at the house, follow up with feedback and other niceties (and this was more work before everything was online), she feels that a lot of people who got into the business when it was easy, don't really like it now that its harder. For agents who may be reading this and thinking, that real estate is Always hard work, I agree, in most areas it is. But here, especially when prices are up, you can make a livable income selling a few houses a year. I had one agent repeatedly not show up for appointments. Once he showed up about 5 hours after he was scheduled. I asked the Realtor if this agent could be Not allowed to make appointments, and she said in a fast market, maybe you could do that, but in a slow market you are hostage to the unprofessional agent and the potential buyer, no matter what a pain they are.
    ...See More
  • calliope
    17 years ago

I remember when there were less than ten forums, total. One could read every thread on every forum in less than an hour. Way early on the GP, somebody had webspace and posted pics of all the contributors. The millieu was so young then and we were so naive and all just sticking our toes into the water, so to speak, of inet forums. OMG, some of the personal stuff they used to air. Folks are a bit more discerning now. It was fun, wasn't it?

• endorphinjunkie
    17 years ago

Way Back Machine.

Early Garden Web Laundry.......

Elia

• Josh
    17 years ago

Elia, I clicked on the first 10 dates and then a few others and can't get to the actual forums. Clicking on GP brings me to today's GP, not the one for 1997 or whenever. Never have had any luck with the Way Back site for Gardenweb.

Were you able to read any old postings? What am I doing wrong? josh

• endorphinjunkie
    17 years ago

The earlier years are most likely to be active. Also, some threads on each day are active, while others are not. It seems the last couple of years just leads one back here. I was able to read just under half of the ones I clicked on.

Last time I went to this site, there was more active threads to read. Seems they have lost a few more over time.

• endorphinjunkie
    17 years ago
  • endorphinjunkie
    17 years ago

Some times you have to click on a thread three or four times before it will come up. Drivin' me crazy, 't'is.

Something about an eclair...

• andie_rathbone
    17 years ago

If I'm remembering right, the GP came into existence in October of 1996. We'd sort of been taking over the old "Favorites" forum to chat & finally Spike gave us the GP to talk about non-gardening things. I know it was definitely up & running in December of 1996

I first posted in March of 1996 complaining about winter never ending. And Suzy, I also remember being able to check out all the posts on every forum in as single evening. How things have changed!

• endorphinjunkie
    17 years ago

A Food Fight of days gone bye...

And I have stumbled on some of the old Mad Hatter threads of '94 that I thought I had lost.

• lindac
    17 years ago

I came just after the first of the year in 97...
    I am not at home, but have some pictures from the 98 Chicago GT on my computer at home. As I recall, Cora Lee had one of those new fangled digital cameras....and her husband, Tom took pictures on everyone's camera.
    Good times....good folks....anyone hear from Marie?
    Linda C

• Josh
    17 years ago

Elia, Thanks so much for those links...I'll save them this time. It was so good to see the old names. When I arrived, I thought almost everyone had been here for years.

Andie, You're right about the date. I just found a note I'd made of Ruthanne posting on Oct. 25, 1998 that GP was 2 years old that date. Also a note dated Feb 22 1998 of Spike posting that he started GW in 1995.

I also found some old handwritten notes I made the few times Spike would visit online. I always liked the few peeks behind the scene he posted. I'll add them and maybe others can add more info.

December 1996 usage up 550% over Dec 1995

Jan 1997 usage 50% above Dec 1996

1500 per day accessing GW

15,000 people on email list per Spike 4/20/97

Spike posted here in GP on July 9 1997 That GW began in Nov 1995 as the Garden Patch at the Virtual Mirror. Spring of 1996 really got busy. Then spring of 1997 really really busy.
    August 1997 Now 2 to 3 thousand visitors per day

1 million visitors as of Oct. 16. 1997

In January 1997 there was a bit of a brouhaha and Stewart came on line to confirm Spikes's figures that less than 5% of users were posting 50-75% of messages and that it was more and more personal exchanges between a few dozen users. (I can't remember -if I ever knew -what this was about).

I remember Spike once saying each post cost $2 even if just one word. which was a little intimidating.

Aug 5, 1998 Spike said more than 10,000 people visit GW daily and 1500 messages are posted.

Aug. 31, 1998 Spike said serving 2 million pages a month and forums have 8 to 10 thousand visitors daily and 1200 to 1500 posts a day. Most garden sites get only couple of dozen posts daily. About 75% of all daily postings at top six busiest garden sites were made at GW.

6/30/99 USA article states 15,000 viewers daily (not sure if Spike posted this or I picked up USA).

Sept 2001...Spike posted he had been at this job for 7 years. 800 people had become Contributing Members. Ads a year ago were bringing in 90% of revenue but "are crumbling".

Jan 8 2003 Spike posted revenues still way down from couple of years ago but stabilizing and traffic up about 60%. Almost half revenue comes from contributions.
    Stated re advertising that GW currently has about 15 million impressions a month.

Nov 22 2002 At any one time there are 40,000 threads on GW.

March 14 2003 Spike says traffic to main gardening forums up almost 40% in Feb 2003 from year ago. Feb. 2000 to Feb 2003 traffic increased 200% and revenue about 40%.

May 15 2003 Over last 3 years traffic has tripled and revenue fallen 40% (in explaining why ads necessary alongside Garden Party).

Feb 19 2004 Spike posted that usage up 20% over last year.

That's all, folks. Hope some of you found it interesting. Just loved this place so that I was pulling for it to succeed. josh

• andie_rathbone
    17 years ago

Josh, You've got quite an archive! Very interesting & goes to show how explosively Internet usage grew int he late 1990's.

If I'm remembering right, Spike originally had all the GW servers in his apartment! How times have changed from those days.

• Josh
    17 years ago

Andie, I missed a lot I'm sure and Spike was pretty elusive online but when he did appear I was fascinated with the glimpses "backstage" of my first and still today "home" on the internet. I hope Spike realizes what he created and nurtured. I know he had his foibles but...well, me too. josh

• calliope
    17 years ago

I always thought "Spike" was impeccably fair in his moderator function. It didn't seem so when one put their toe over his magic line, but I am sure all of us really knew inside when we crossed it, whether we'd admit it or not. I had a twirl or two in the teacups. rofl.

He was a really decent person and very motherish hen toward his forums. At one point, when he decided to blow his own cover about what his real name was and how he set up his operation, I remember he emailed all the regulars privately and explained the situation. I shot back that I was almost disappointed to know, because I had envisioned him with a black leather jacket and somehow walking off the set of West Side Story....... with a moniker like Spike. It hit me then what work and sweat must have gone into creating a site like the Garden Web. I'm happy to see that it lived on past his mentorship.

• mary_md7
    17 years ago

The Garden Party was well established when I stumbled upon it in very early 1997. That summer I met you, Kim, and Janet when we went down to the National Arboretum. I think it was 1998 when Janet and I went out to the Chicago get-together along with others from around the country.

How the years have flown!

• firstkim
    Original Author
    17 years ago

After lots of trying, I finally managed to bring up some early stuff from Michael's wonderful Way Back Machine link.
    I copied and pasted to WordPerfect and now repaste it here just for fun.

What we talked about then...

My husband is going crazy ...
    Posted by: Bev (Ont6b) on Monday, November 25, 1996 at 23:24
    41 follow-ups, last one posted on Friday, November 29, 1996 at 17:55
    Oh, the Weather Outside is Frightful!
    Posted by: Sara (MI/z5) on Monday, November 25, 1996 at 15:00
    22 follow-ups, last one posted on Friday, November 29, 1996 at 17:34
    I Trod On Alex Again!
    Posted by: Janet OH/Z6 on Friday, November 29, 1996 at 14:57
    4 follow-ups, last one posted on Friday, November 29, 1996 at 17:30
    If I won the Lottery
    Posted by: ruth anne (IL. zone 5a) on Thursday, November 21, 1996 at 17:27
    13 follow-ups, last one posted on Friday, November 29, 1996 at 17:21
    What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: judi z./(RI/Z6) on Monday, November 25, 1996 at 21:42
    25 follow-ups, last one posted on Friday, November 29, 1996 at 17:01
    A Thanksgiving success!
    Posted by: Fran on Friday, November 29, 1996 at 16:01
    2 follow-ups, last one posted on Friday, November 29, 1996 at 16:31
    'Tomorrow is 'Buy Nothing Day''
    Posted by: Bev (Ont6b) on Thursday, November 28, 1996 at 13:01
    8 follow-ups, last one posted on Friday, November 29, 1996 at 16:12
    Nursery Food
    Posted by: Andie Rathbone Mo/Zone 6A on Saturday, November 23, 1996 at 23:06
    51 follow-ups, last one posted on Friday, November 29, 1996 at 15:47
    Where to meet
    Posted by: Clare B (MO zone 6) on Saturday, November 23, 1996 at 00:32
    8 follow-ups, last one posted on Friday, November 29, 1996 at 15:32
    Thankful For YOU!
    Posted by: Cora Lea (Iowa Z5) on Thursday, November 28, 1996 at 21:17
    9 follow-ups, last one posted on Friday, November 29, 1996 at 15:21
    Zinfandel Grape BONSAI by--Z-
    Posted by: Z CA z/9 on Thursday, November 28, 1996 at 19:16
    7 follow-ups, last one posted on Friday, November 29, 1996 at 15:04
    Town Celebrations
    Posted by: ruth anne (IL. zone 5a) on Friday, November 29, 1996 at 08:47
    2 follow-ups, last one posted on Friday, November 29, 1996 at 11:52
    Garden Webring Starting up
    Posted by: Teresa on Friday, November 29, 1996 at 08:17
    Look at Kirk's Place!
    Posted by: Clare B (MO zone 6) on Thursday, November 28, 1996 at 23:25
    Too cute for words
    Posted by: Fran on Wednesday, November 27, 1996 at 01:32
    11 follow-ups, last one posted on Thursday, November 28, 1996 at 22:00
    Grocery Store Hell
    Posted by: Andie Rathbone Mo/Zone 6A on Tuesday, November 26, 1996 at 20:36
    22 follow-ups, last one posted on Thursday, November 28, 1996 at 21:09
    Chickens
    Posted by: Becky GA*z7B on Tuesday, November 26, 1996 at 07:29
    21 follow-ups, last one posted on Thursday, November 28, 1996 at 21:05
    Essential Thanksgiving Foodstuffs
    Posted by: Tia (MI 5) on Wednesday, November 27, 1996 at 09:15
    12 follow-ups, last one posted on Thursday, November 28, 1996 at 20:32
    Object in the Sky
    Posted by: Skip MNZ4 on Wednesday, November 27, 1996 at 21:24
    5 follow-ups, last one posted on Thursday, November 28, 1996 at 19:17
    Dogs in the garden
    Posted by: Jean (IN Zone 5) on Wednesday, November 20, 1996 at 18:24
    25 follow-ups, last one posted on Thursday, November 28, 1996 at 18:46
    Too Much Party
    Posted by: Eduardo (LA/Z8b) on Tuesday, November 26, 1996 at 02:48
    13 follow-ups, last one posted on Thursday, November 28, 1996 at 14:03
    Canadian Thanksgiving
    Posted by: Kim Fisher on Wednesday, November 27, 1996 at 21:59
    10 follow-ups, last one posted on Thursday, November 28, 1996 at 13:05
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING NEIGHBORS
    Posted by: Doug ONT/Z5 on Wednesday, November 27, 1996 at 22:00
    5 follow-ups, last one posted on Thursday, November 28, 1996 at 12:31
    Black Friday
    Posted by: Kim Fisher on Tuesday, November 26, 1996 at 22:50
    14 follow-ups, last one posted on Thursday, November 28, 1996 at 12:29
    Happy Thanksgiving, One and All
    Posted by: ruth anne (IL. zone 5a) on Wednesday, November 27, 1996 at 19:04
    3 follow-ups, last one posted on Thursday, November 28, 1996 at 12:25
    What's *always* in your fridge?
    Posted by: Kate Lykins on Monday, November 25, 1996 at 19:34
    28 follow-ups, last one posted on Thursday, November 28, 1996 at 02:26
    Garden Party Trivia
    Posted by: Janet Menke MD/Z6 on Wednesday, November 27, 1996 at 18:48
    4 follow-ups, last one posted on Thursday, November 28, 1996 at 01:36
    Mint Capitol of the World?
    Posted by: Janet Menke MD/Z6 on Tuesday, November 26, 1996 at 21:58
    4 follow-ups, last one posted on Wednesday, November 27, 1996 at 18:46
    How many workers?
    Posted by: Andie Rathbone Mo/Zone 6A on Saturday, November 16, 1996 at 15:21
    73 follow-ups, last one posted on Wednesday, November 27, 1996 at 18:33
    Future Telling
    Posted by: Doug ONT/Z5 on Wednesday, November 20, 1996 at 13:21
    39 follow-ups, last one posted on Wednesday, November 27, 1996 at 18:23
    Next 30 messages...

And some early Martha bashing...

What is it about Martha?
    1. Posted by judi z./(RI/Z6) (ezimm@ids.net) on Monday, November 25, 1996 at 21:42
    On several of the sites I visit regularly, Martha is the woman we love to hate, yet we can't wait to try some of her suggestions. We make fun of them, but wouldn't miss a show or an issue. I am this way myself, but I have yet to figure out what it is that inspires such opposite responses. Call me whimsical, but I am just curious--what is it?

Follow-Up Postings:
    What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: ruth anne (IL. zone 5a) (drrj@snd.softfarm.com) on Monday, November 25, 1996 at 22:24
    Judi - I confess, too. She bugs the bejeebers out of me, yet I wouldn't mind having a 'summer kitchen' and the time and money to experiment with new ideas like she does. It's probably alot of things - a bit of envy, a bit of annoyance, mix in a dash of suspicion that she doesn't really do all that stuff on her own and she'd like us to think that she does, and you've got the recipe for the 'Martha Dilema'.

What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: Fran (buckwold@cyberhighway.net) on Monday, November 25, 1996 at 22:59
    In the beginning I really enjoyed all her fun ideas but as of late she has become too darn much of a "good thing" - I don't think anyone can buy off on the idea that she does all this stuff she keeps claiming she does because there aren't 40 hours in a day, nor is there 20 days in a week....but if that could be changed I'm sure Martha is the person most capable of arranging it ;)

What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: Janet Menke MD/Z6 (menkesjg@erols.com) on Monday, November 25, 1996 at 23:03
    Don't know but she has the same effect on me. I'm embarassed to admit this because I've bashed her here quite a bit myself but I have two of her books sitting on my coffee table! Worse yet when I got married the color of the bridesmaids dresses were from inspired by one of the weddings in her weddings book.

What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: Bev (Ont6b) (waverley@hookup.net) on Monday, November 25, 1996 at 23:35
    I only saw Martha for the first time earlier this year. I don't think she's been in Canada all that long but I could be wrong on that. At first I thought that she was OK. I liked her show on Oriental Poppies and that basket to die for! Now I find that she mugs for the camera too much and really gets on my nerves. I can only watch her when noone else is home as they all hate her.
    My daughter really dislikes Lynette Jennings, especially her voice. Really, who would be having a dinner party, go to their garden to pick nice flowers and then not have a vase/jar or some kind of vessel so have to use potatoes to put them in? Please.

What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: Kate Lykins (klykins@roman.net) on Tuesday, November 26, 1996 at 00:56
    Strange as it may seem, I've only seen her show once. I have her Christmas book because it was easier to pay for it than send it back - it was sent to me unsolicited. It's a pretty book and has some things worth doing, I think. The one show I saw was fine, too. But I have read about her overdone style, seen parodies, etc. I think we want to bash her because she's overexposed. She should lay low for a while. (It wouldn't hurt if she could be a little less perfect, either.)

What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: Fran (buckwold@cyberhighway.net) on Tuesday, November 26, 1996 at 01:04
    Like Martha, I think Lynette Jennings was much better in the early days, I wonder if they ran out of good ideas on a reasonable level and thats the real problem.

What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: ruth anne (IL. zone 5a) (drrj@snd.softfarm.com) on Tuesday, November 26, 1996 at 01:12
    Check out 'Interior Motives'.

What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: Kathy PA/Z6 (markathy@epix.net) on Tuesday, November 26, 1996 at 07:14
    Fran, I changed that to 40 hours in a day 8 years ago when I opened my own flower shop! Please....I know Martha will get the credit somehow! Kathy

What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: Kim Fisher (ckfisher@redrose.net) on Tuesday, November 26, 1996 at 08:31
    Kate, if MS or anyone else sends you any more unsolicited stuff in the mail, DON'T PAY FOR IT!! Unsolicited merchandise is considered a gift, and you cannot be made to pay for anything you didn't order. Contact your local postal authorities if a company starts giving you any bull to the contrary.

What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: judi z./(RI/Z6) (ezimm@ids.net) on Tuesday, November 26, 1996 at 09:48
    Ruthanne--is Interior Motives the one with the guy who is "way over the top?" I think he is really playing up that awful stereotype of the swishy decorator, and doing a dis-service to all people in the field--he's going to give himself an aneurysm with that gushing. I asked the int. designer who helps me what he thinks, and he was very offended. My designer, David is gay, but recoiled from this show, saying it was almost as homophobic as true bashing.

What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: ruth anne (IL. zone 5a) (drrj@snd.softfarm.com) on Tuesday, November 26, 1996 at 10:23
    Judi - you nailed that one on the head!

What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: Grace (PA/Zone 6) (kfmartin@epix.net) on Tuesday, November 26, 1996 at 13:53
    I'm of German/Austrian background and enjoy making stollen at Christmas. I've tried several different recipes. Martha was making it on her show one day, I believe with her mom. Her recipe used ELEVEN cups of flour! Do I have a bowl large enough in my kitchen to hold that mess? It was such a massive undertaking for a regular person with standard size utensils and counter space. Now I have my recipe that I got from Good Housekeeping and have success every year.

What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: Andie Rathbone Mo/Zone 6A (andier@cybergate.org) on Tuesday, November 26, 1996 at 19:54
    Like I said before. Martha Stewart is the anti-Christ, sent down to earth to make all normal women (especially those who work full time) feel like worthless slobs.
    It's not that she doesn't have good idesas sometimes, but she always does things the hard way. She can't just go to Michaels and buy a grapevine wreath like normal people, she has to cut the twigs, soak them, and make the damn thing herself.
    She also is into really, REALLY expensive stuff. Check out what she charges for her paint. I like to take some of her ideas and recreate them for 1/10th the cost.
    By the way, have I been under a rock? Who is this Jennings woman?

What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: Janet Menke MD/Z6 (menkesjg@erols.com) on Tuesday, November 26, 1996 at 22:03
    Yes do tell, who is this Jennings person? Finally figure out that Englebrecht person is (have one of her nifty cannisters just didn't realize it) and now a new MS wannabee to learn about!

What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: Kim Fisher (ckfisher@redrose.net) on Tuesday, November 26, 1996 at 22:08
    Lynnette Jennings has a show on The Discovery Channel, daytime on weekdays. I really can't comment on her. I caught about half of one show once, decided she was too much for me, and reached for the remote.

What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: Kathy PA/Z6 (markathy@epix.net) on Tuesday, November 26, 1996 at 22:48
    I told my husband that Martha was the Anti-Christ! I wonder if her birthday is on Feburary 4TH????? The Anti-Christ was to be born on this day! I wish Martha had a web site, I would LOVE to e-mail her. Kathy

What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: Glenda (IN/Z5) (fletch@tctc.com) on Wednesday, November 27, 1996 at 08:30
    Poor Martha, I admit I have said it all myself, but we should proably be ashamed of ourselves. We should applaud & be inspired when one of us manages to build an empire. If a man had done it, people would be praising his abilities to delegate not saying don't forget he has a staff. I have her old house book, and she gives full credit to all the artisans who painstakingly renovated her home. And described the process for those of us who can't afford the artisans and would like to believe that we are talented enough to do it ourselves.
    I wonder if the criticizims (sp?) of her poor treatment of her staff are deserved, or if they would exist if she were male. Sound like a raving feminist don't I.

What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: Bev (Ont6b) (waverley@hookup.net) on Wednesday, November 27, 1996 at 14:02
    Glenda, in all seriousness I think that you might have something there about us knocking a woman for being successful. I have tried to think of a man who would be like her, sort of set himself up as the epitome of good taste and as a representative of the western version of masculinity, but I couldn't come up with one so it's hard to know if we would knock him too.
    I think that what frustrates us so much is the very mixed messages we get, that we should be modern women who don't have to stay at home in the kitchen like June Cleaver but that our families should be well looked after. It all comes back to mom. Martha makes us feel inadequate because she seems to do it all: have a growing, successful business and career and do all of the home warming stuff that looks so fuzzy and cozy and perfect. We can never be like her, nor, I suspect, would we want to be. Hovever, we still feel uneasy and ambivalent about her and what she represents. We criticize her but when you read the postings about all the wonderful dinners, handmade decorations and Christmas gifts that we are capable of handling we're more like her than we realize. Martha just goes WAY over the top. She's a lot like us but out of control.
    On another note, I think, although I haven't had it confirmed, that Martha-wannabe Lynette Jennings is Canadian.

What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: Andie Rathbone Mo/Zone 6A (andier@cybergate.org) on Wednesday, November 27, 1996 at 18:48
    Maybe I should take a day off work and try to catch Lynette, just to check her out.

What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: Becky GA*z7B (aesculus@ix.netcom.com) on Thursday, November 28, 1996 at 21:09
    If Ralph Lauren (who's clothes etc. I can not afford) can make the coolest paint I've ever seen for $29/gal. why is Martha's araucana series over $100/gal? And I've heard it can be toxic to pets & kids.

What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: Janet Menke MD/Z6 (menkesjg@erols.com) on Thursday, November 28, 1996 at 22:37
    Are you guys serious? Does Queen Martha actually have her own line of PAINT? How have I missed this? Where do they sell it- Saks Fifth Avenue, Tiffany's, and the like?

What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: judi z./(RI/Z6) (ezimm@ids.net) on Friday, November 29, 1996 at 11:58
    And get ready for this one--CNBC has announced that Martha is going public!! We can all own a little bit of Martha! I'd love to go to the shareholders meetings--will we have to decorate the room? Serve whimsical little tidbits? Instead of a printed annual report, will it be festively stencilled, decoupaged and adorned with ribbon?

What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: donna PA 5 (pwaldron@sgi.net) on Friday, November 29, 1996 at 15:40
    I'm an old "fan" or enemy of Lynnette Jennings--because she is my style of sit-com. We used to get her show on satelite when I lived in Japan and we were all so hungry for any English television that the Americans watched her religiously. My favorite Lynnette tip--she reassuringly told us in one episode that beige and brown go together! (sorry, I think I may have mentioned this before somewhere). She also made a vase one day from houseplant leaves and an empty peanut butter jar that sent us rolling in laughter. And just think--her show has been expanded to 1 hour!

What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: Janet OH/Z6 (jkp@one.net) on Friday, November 29, 1996 at 15:44
    MS is genuinely insincere! Her smile rarely reaches her eye's.

What is it about Martha?
    Posted by: Becky GA*z7B (aesculus@ix.netcom.com) on Friday, November 29, 1996 at 17:01
    Glenda - I met someone in NYC that worked on the food section of MSLiving and loved her job, so rumors of employee abuse are probably just that. Perhaps confused with Leona Helmsley.
    Has anyone seen the cartoon Sylvia? She has one she does called "The Woman Does Everything More Beautifully Than You" that has to be based on Martha.

• sheila
    17 years ago

It was right around Thanksgiving of 1996 that I found this place when I was looking for a gardening site. A long defunct search engine threw it up as their pick of the week and gave it a glowing report.

Pidge, I always think of Brandy too when I see someone trying to drum up some business. Now that was one flamboyant woman.

I still think, bar none, that ruthanne is the funniest woman that has ever posted here. It was effortless for her and I never thought she was setting out to "do a Bombeck". ruthann was and no doubt still is, unique and wonderful.

• endorphinjunkie
    17 years ago
  • Josh
    17 years ago

Elia, Thank you. I really enjoyed that long-ago summer with those feisty imaginative kids...josh

• User
    17 years ago

The kids are still here. ; )

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
More Discussions