SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liz_margoshes

My pots are visible and I don't like that!

Liz Margoshes
16 years ago

I just put new plants in (just relined a small pond, 4 ft diameter, with a soft liner, so there are no "steps" built in to put plants on) of various types (e.g. a water lily, a water iris, etc. They're all different heights).

I find that, in order to have leaves not overly submerged, I have to put the pots pretty close to the surface of the pond. I repotted some of them in clay pots as suggested by the nursery (Hick's on Long Island, a very reputable place), but because they are so close to the surface and because they are brown, you can clearly see the pots, which looks "unauthentic" and unattractive. I can cover the soil with pebbles but you still clearly see the rims and sides of the clay pots.

I was so disconcerted by this when I potted yesterday that I UN-repotted some of them, put them back in the black plastic pots they came in, and the pots are now less visible. But the plant man said clay is better.

So I'm wondering what all of you do about this. (I have the plants on a variety of bricks etc. I've put in the pond, to elevate them to the proper heights within the pond.)

Comments (21)