SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Think I'll try to sleep about 20 hours

gandle
14 years ago

The older combine broke down and I'm not needed for a couple of days. Just got home, need a shave and a hot shower a nap and a meal. Then bed I hope. Got the soybeans done. There was some loss from that last very heavy wet snow, some of the beans shattered from the pods. Son estimates about 3 to 5 bushels to the acre loss which doesn't sound like much until you multiply it by 95 acres and that by about $9:00 a bushel. Started the corn in the dry fields, some are still far to wet to even think about getting machinery in. Corn looks odd, the heavy snow broke off the tops of the stalks so the tassel ends are gone. Didn't seem to hurt the ears any just looks strange. Yields are fantastic but unfortunately the prices are dropping because of the high yields.

DIL took a straight truck to a implement dealer about 150 miles away to get a part needed to get the old combine back in working condition. The only dealer who had the part needed. Going to hope it takes several days to get back in working condition. Getting a little tired of 15 to 16 hour days.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions