SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

For bman: 'Juno'

melissa_thefarm
10 years ago

Since bman is asking about Gallicas these days I thought I would mention this rose. My two plants are growing in tough conditions, are smallish but sturdy plants with arching growth and big, pale, fragrant, beautiful blooms. HMF says is isn't thorny but mine I remember as rather thornier than many Gallicas; and they call it a Hybrid China--I concur--or Bourbon, and to me it isn't like a Bourbon at all. It fits right in with the Gallicas. My plants show no tendency to sucker and are very easy to grow, making a good show in starvation conditions. I grew my plants from cuttings. Recommended.
Melissa

Comments (3)

• bman1920
    10 years ago

Nice thanx Melissa. I will start looking into Juno.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

Mine is one of those roses that never has a lot of thorns, but the older wood is thornless. It is also a very fussy rose to grow. I've had winterkill, general failure to bloom, balling if it rains, and all sort of issues. The flowers are gorgeous, but ....

• melissa_thefarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mad_gallica, this kind of info is helpful. Perhaps it isn't a zone 5 rose (I'm zone 8). What do others have to say? There's a lovely photo of 'Juno' at Hidcote Manor in Phillips and Rix's 'The Ultimate Guide to Roses' and they say kind things about it.
    Melissa