SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jblanche

Bottom Drain Plan with Photos - Please critique

jblanche
16 years ago

I sawed a trench in the bottom of my concrete pond and dug a sump hole next to the pond. I bought a bottom drain and 4" PVC pipe. My plan is to put the pipe in the trench and run it up thru the sump hole into some kind of vortex chamber. On the drain end I have a 3x4 closet elbow. On the sump end I have 2 - 45 street elbows. (My thinking was that a 'long radius' bend will allow easier access for cleanout if anything does get lodged in there.) Above that, a 4x4x3 tee. The top of the 4x4x3 will be a cleanout plug. The 3" slip will go to some type of vortex chamber. Questions:

1. Should the sump end of the pipe be slightly lower than the drain?

2. Will using two 45s be better, or will it just cause debris to collect further upstream in the pipe? In other words, should I use a 'short radius' 4x4 90 on the sump end instead?

3. I have no space for a settlement pond and only limited space for a vortex chamber. Any suggestions for how to make a compact homemade vortex chamber? It would be nice to have one with a bottom blowdown valve that I could pump externally with a shop vac.

Bottom drain assembly on the right. Connection to vortex on far left.

{{gwi:197231}}

Sawn out concrete at right center and right. Sump hole for 4" pipe at left center.

{{gwi:197232}}

Small area for mechanicals. Grey lid is on top of pressure filter housing. Skimmer goes between sump hole and green overflow drain. Vortex needs to be located left of sump.

{{gwi:197233}}

Comments (3)