SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hardin_gw

A few more simple questions...please?

hardin
14 years ago

Finished several plans for small water garden. I still have a few questions I hope you can answer for me as I have some conflicting information from different sources.

Pond Size: At least 8 x 11, no larger than 11 x 15 with 2' depth, possibly a small 3' depth area (see below).

Residents: Goldfish and any others who want to rent. Do not plan on Koi right now, maybe later (see above).

1) How much should the water volume of the pond turn over in one hour?

2) Is a UV clarifier/sterilizer absolutely needed now? If budget is short, can one be added later without major problems?

3) When digging the sides, should they be straight up and down or have a slight angle?

4) What about the plant shelves, should they angle in slightly toward the walls of pond to help stablize rocks?

5) In collecting own rocks, are there any particular kinds that you would avoid, such as sandstone or (I don't exactly know rocks well)?

6) When planting with different plants, for different levels, which would you absolutely recommend or avoid, especially in Oklahoma (zone 7)? Want to avoid the invasive, but want best ones that do job of cleaning and oxygenating water.

That is all I can think of for now. I appreciate all help.

Vickie

Comments (16)