SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gemini_jim

Goldfish intro question

gemini_jim
16 years ago

Hi all,

I have been offered 5 small goldfish for my pond. These were won at a carnival, and I assume they've been warm all winter. I want to know: is too early to put them directly into the pond, or should I set them up in a tub in the basement for now? The water temperature is currently in the mid 60's, but the weather has been warm the last few days, so I don't know what sort of fluctuations may be ahead.

It's a 135gal pond. I lost most but not all of my fish over the winter due to decaying leaves, but I cleaned the bottom, I've been running the pump for about a month, the plants are growing, and things seem to be fine now.

I'm mainly concerned with the temperature difference and acclimation for these new fish. Is it possible to acclimate them if I do it more slowly than the floating-the-bag method? Like for example, if I put them outside in a large tub of room-temperature water and let it drop to ambient (~50's to 60's) overnight? Or is that still too cold too fast for "non-winterized" goldies?

Thanks

Comments (2)