SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claritamaria

Ang. 'Fat Boy' Care... A Ton 'o Questions:-) Pics

claritamaria
16 years ago

My Crestwood is now known as "Fat Boy" in the neighbourhood. (sesquipedale x vetchii). I prefer "Handsome" but I was out-voted when he started ripping roots the diameter of a pinkie finger. I suppose "Fat Boy" could be his street name. Fat Boy ...grrr...nothing a mother could call him :-). MB, love at 1st sight! This is not normal for me. I like the little Spanish guys. He continues to blow me away with girth! He is now 19"H x 26" at span. He puts on a good show for the neighbours, "as is", sunning himself front and center in the wsw window(s)

Giggles aside... I need some serious info. My post is detailed and full of specific questions so I'll try to make it a colourful read. "Handsome" makes me nervous. It's going along too well. Don't you hate that? The impending "calm before the storm" feeling?

I was told to keep the light and heat steady through the Fall and at Christmas, I will have flowers.

I can do mid-70's in winter max with high humidity and dump the temps at night.

Any opinions on day/night temps so I know where he will ultimately park for the winter?

{{gwi:196332}}

The root ripping started in approx. early August and has not stopped. Roots grow as fast as snakes! I barely see the tip before it dissapears into the medium. The plant doesn't seem to be growing in step with the roots.Shouldn't the new growth be growing at some parellel rate? I am watering him indoors 1-2 times weekly using booster and calling it good. (ST & booster seems irrational to me. Anyone being called "Fat Boy" doesn't need dessert)

They break out so high in the plant. Normal? I don't mist at him or any of my non-mounted plants.

{{gwi:196333}}

The other side:

{{gwi:196334}}

The bottom media concerns me. Its dry as far down as my index finger and then goes wet.12" pot. He has the same roots coming out the drainage holes. Big greenies. Re-potting is NOT a consideration after what happened with RP's ang. Rather limp through broken media. He is carefully watered. Should I let it go dryer on bottom? I can never tell he is heavy all the time.

Has anyone ever sucessfully re-potted this or a sesquipedale without blowing the plant up? or should he really be in another set up? Can't imagine mounting this. It's the size of a toddler.

My other concern is the spotting. It was out all summer and endured the huge storm. The spotting does not appear to be advancing, not mushy but pitted. The spotting occured outside. It's only on the under-side of the leaf. Top side is silvery. Days are 80-90 range still indoors. Nights, possibly 10-15º cooler. I'll have to check his area. Still sorting out the new windows and night temps

Boitris, burn or do they freckle? Opinions?

{{gwi:196335}}

Have him in the new wsw window very close to an 85w cfl. He doesn't seem to be minding it. Maybe that's why the top bark may be on "speed cycle" drying? I have to move big air to keep temps reasonable. Used to that.

Other questions:

What should I being doing (or not) from now until Bloom time?

What should I do for culture after bloom?

How much does one cut back on water when he is not growing new tenticles?

What should the run time for the cfl's be? Decrease time or stay steady?

What should I expect in terms of flowers if I get it right on the 1st try?

OK, I am being presumptuous. Is he blooming size? ( Jeez, wouldn't that be a shock!)

What is the most common mistake with Crestwood or his parents? (besides the re-potting tantrum)

I have a very vague sense from the Baker's. Is he more like his dad or him mum? It's always my issue w/hybrids and why I prefer species.

I adore this plant out of bloom. The neighbours will not believe that he is an orchid. They are convinced he's a tropical tree, not an orchid!

Any help in proving them dead wrong is greatly appreciated!

Clara

"Fat Boy's" Mum and proud of it!

Comments (8)