SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meredith_e

How to be an irate pet lover... getting home from my trip

I just got home from a trip and was missing my furbabies terribly.

My sister was dog-sitting 2 and my kitty [the rest were boarded]. The dogs were safely in the enclosed outdoor portico, large and secure... and Dad and I had added thick livestock wire and a hefty padlock for the trip. My sister had one key and the other was in the shed hanging up.

When Dad and I were coming back from the airport, my sister had just gotten a call from Animal Control that KiKi had been picked up for running loose. I immediately called Animal Control and they assured me he was fine and safe.

First thing I did at home was check the portico. Everything was fine - no hole, locked up sound with the girlie just happy to see me and safe.

Two little kid's shoes were directly in front of the door.

My littlest neighbor always wants to let them out if they are in there and we are gardening.

There were no messages from my neighbor, no notes, nothing.

So I got Kiki back, thank God. We have a horribly busy road, and Animal Control puts the animal up for adoption or to be put down after 5 days.

Flash forward to yesterday, me outside and my littlest neighbor came up on his bike:

"Would you be angry if they took KiKi away?" he asked meekly. "Would you hate us and never like us again?"

"I got KiKi back" I said.

He smiled a huge smile of relief and said "Well that is good news."

Later, he told me how his mother called the pound when he was out, how she told him not to tell me about it. He swears he didn't open the lock but he had several theories of what the little boy who did must have been thinking.

I told him that I thought there'd be a message or note if anyone knew what had happened. I asked if he'd have left me a note to let me know. "Yes, if I were big"

I hope so.

Why is it that I am shocked again and again by the behavior of some 'adults'? Whew.

Comments (8)