SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

How to deal with this snake?

catherinet
17 years ago

Hi,

I think I have a black rat snake that has come out of hibernation. I saw him alot last summer, but it seemed like there were still alot of toads and frogs. I have to admit, I'm partial to the toads and frogs. In fact, I'm really crazy about them. I know that snakes are just as much a part of the picture as toads and frogs....but.....

I was hoping this one moved on, but he/she must have just been hibernating under the deck. Today I let the dog out and she was playing with something in the plants next to the deck. I checked it out and it was a toad. I yelled at her and she went elsewhere to play. I went to check out the toad, and I couldn't see it.......but I could see that snake......and realized it was starting to eat the toad. I stepped on the snake, right behind its head, and picked up the toad. Its legs looked sort of smushed, and it was barely moving. I have set it on a floating milk crate in my little pond, while it recuperates.

But how to deal with the snake? I know it belongs here, just like everything else, but I don't want it here.

Is there any way to scare it off, or do I need to grab it and transport it to the creek? Any suggestions? I'm not looking forward to grabbing it!

I know the toad still isn't safe, but I don't know what else to do.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor