SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ann_in_houston

Move in our future? What about my ponds?

Ann_in_Houston
16 years ago

My mil lost her husband suddenly last September. He was not terribly old and it was a shock that my husband and his family is still dealing with. The thing is that their house is a little over a mile away and DH is trying to be a buffer for his mom while dealing with his own issues.

Her house is about 2700 sq. ft. and is on 2.5 acres. It is too much for her, and we all knew it would be from the start, but everyone hates to sell it to a stranger because they all built it with their own hands, neighborhood barn-raising style. So, hubby is considering selling our house (it's paid off) and just giving her the proceeds to purchase her place(also no mortgage on hers) so she can find whatever suits her, elsewhere. I have no problem with that.

The deal is, what will happen to my ponds? They are both in front of the house. Will the new people want them? I know that depends entirely on the individual, but what if we take them out, and it turns into a mistake? Is it advisable to leave them in, with the promise to remove them if the buyers desire? I'm certainly not leaving my prize (to me) bf koi. I'm not as attached to my regular koi, and I could consider leaving them if the new people want them. They are in a cattle trough sunk into the ground, which could easily be removed, to make a fire pit, instead.

We all have things we would do differently if we had the option, and this could be a golden one. Still, I hate to part with my ponds.

Forgive this vent. This just came up over lunch today and it is churning around in my head. Thanks for reading.

Comments (10)