SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennyb5149

Has the impeller on my pump gone bad?

jennyb5149
13 years ago

Late last year I got a so called "new" oase swimskim from ebay. I planned (note past tense) on using it in the 6 foot deep addition I added last fall. I know a skimmer is a necessity because if leaves and stuff sink to the bottom, it will be a bear trying to get the bottom cleaned up. Better to get the gunk before it hits bottom.

Well I guess the old saying you get what you pay for is true here. I plugged it in and the pump would run in the unit but then the impeller would stop spinning. Sometimes a hard thump would get it going again but not always. In any case, I don't plan on standing next the pond thumping the swimskim every 5 to 10 minutes. I can just stand there with a net if that were the case!

I know Oase stopped making the swim skim but it seemed a perfect solution for my particular situation. The addition is separate from the main pond but connected to it via a 6" PVC pipe underground so my main skimmer won't be able to skim the surface of the addition. Replacement parts are still available. I can purchase a new impeller if necessary but a pump that fits the unit is not available.

I can fit all my mechanical knowledge in a thimble and am not sure what the heck is wrong with the pump. Does it just need a new impeller or have I got a bum pump?

Thanks! Jenny

Comments (5)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor