SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcjcjcx

holding container for fish during pond rebuild

jcjcjcx
16 years ago

While rebuilding my pond, how long can I keep my fish in a temporary container?

I have 4 6"-goldfish, 2 4"-shubunkins and 4 goldfish babies. They will be going into a 189L (50 gal) rubbermaid container that I just bought. This was the largest container I could buy that will fit in my shed. They have to be kept in my shed as I don't want the raccoons to get to my fish during the night.

Originally I was hoping to build my pond in 4 days straight. Realistically its going to take me longer (weekends and weeknights) plus now there's rain in the forecast every few days.

The easiest thing to do would be is to just take them out of the pond for a few weeks and work on the pond when I can.

I also have 5 green frogs that will have to go into another net-covered container.. again into the shed. I guess I'll have to buy crickets at the pet store to feed them while in captivity. If I leave them out, they will wander off and probably never come back (there is no other pond around and an open busy schoolyard behind my house).

So if I need to leave them in the container for at least 2-3 weeks, will they be okay? I can not hook up my filter because my smallest pump is 650gph which is too fast for the container. Besides I haven't even started putting the bacteria in the pond yet. I can however hook up my air pump (has 2 round airstones). I guess I'd have to do a 50% waterchange every few days and feed them a only a small amount once a day.

Comments (6)