SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

My orchid is getting a new leaf, I'm exited.

orchidnick
13 years ago

I noticed a new leaf this morning and I'm as exited as a teenage boy having his first romantic encounter! So an orchid is getting a new leaf, big deal, what else is new?

This is no ordinary orchid, this is Bulbophyllum beccarii. I have tried them twice before and failed each time. This plant is larger than the babies I had before, leaves are like dinner plates, all three of them. It's expensive, hard to find and even experienced growers like Jason Fisher from Orchids Unlimited told me that he looses 10% of new plants. I'm therefore truly exited. The vendor, Mount Prospect Orchids, whom I got the plant from, told me the secret is to keep the new leaf dry. Water and fertilize the rest of the plant like crazy but put a little plastic cup or something over the newly developing leaf to keep it from rotting which they are prone to do. The leaves are shaped like funnels to catch falling debris from the forest canopy and water collects in these pockets. This is fine for the adult leaves but apparently is not tolerated well by the newly developing leaf.

So far so good, I hope it will bloom some day, the aroma is spectacular. Some one once compared it to the smell of a herd of dead elephants. I'd love to take it to an orchid show so the public can get turned on to orchids.

Nick

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21