SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bkaushansky

Pond / Stream ? and opinions needed asap.

bkaushansky
17 years ago

I have a natural source of water running through my property. The previous owner dug out a trench and put in some river rock to channel the flow. The water is usually a slow trickle, but moving (except when it rains). Every year, the stream gets overfilled with silt/roots from the nearby landscaping.

This year, I hired a landscaper to dig out the stream and add a 10ft diameter collection pond upstream on the property. The idea is to collect the runoff into the pond which overflows the into a new stream.

The soil where the pond and stream is located is very saturated from years of water flowing in that location. I do have a natural slope and a small river 50 ft away with a water table 3-4 ft lower than my stream.

The question is what do I use for a liner, if any? My landscaper suggested using just a felt liner without EPDM. He was concerned that the EPDM would bubble up due to the excessive ground water that currently exists. My thought was to use an underlayment w/ EPDM on top and let the groundwater drain on its own. The new pond stream would allow me to clean it with a pressure washer/hose yearly to keep the it silt free.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I need to make a decision ASAP.

Thanks.

Comments (3)