SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitecat8

8 plants 'entered;' 5 ribbons, sort of

whitecat8
16 years ago

A couple of days ago, I asked the Forum about transporting a Cyc in bloom to the State Fair, where our orchid society had a display on Friday and Saturday. The number of orchids in bloom had been going down the last few years, and this year, there was a big push to get more of a show.

My orchid buddy had 2 plants in bloom, and I had 8, not counting the Cyc that stayed home. We dropped off the plants, declining to register them for judging. They were there strictly for color, and there were corn dogs and deep-fried candy bars beckoning.

Tonight, I went back while the exhibit was still going. It turns out that, after Susan and I left on Thurs., other society members had decided to register all the plants, so all were judged.

The kinda cool part is that, although this wasn't an AOS show by any means, Minnesota's only AOS judge headed up the judging.

5 of the 8 plants I took for color got ribbons, and one of Susan's 2 plants got a first place! I was stunned. This was the first time any of my plants had been judged. DH was w/ me, and he insisted on taking pix w/ my cell phone.

1st place - Paph moquettianum sib (Ronald Lee AM/AOS x 'AWOO' AM/AOS). It's on my sell/trade list, if anyone's interested.

1st place - Phal Cameo, aka Windsong's Sonnet 'Pine Ridge Peloric' (Zuma Poem x equestris)

2nd place - Oncidium Twinkle 'White Cap' (Onc. cheirophorum x Onc. ornithorhynchum)

2nd place - Phal Tetra Bell (bellina 'Star of Borneo' x tetraspis 'Snow White')

2nd place - Den ceraula (gonzalesii) - brand new from Andy's

The also-rans were the Psycopsis, Gastrochilus japonicus, and Phal I-Hsin Salmon 'Joy No. 3.'

DH is now insisting that the "orchards" (his teasing term) are vegetables, so he's hanging out with a 4-H chick. That's okay. His sister called from CA while we were there, and he was bragging to her about my ribbons. One more in an evening of amazements.

Thanks for listening.

Whitecat8

Comments (19)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH