SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cassandramarie_gw

Large Man Made Pond

cassandramarie
14 years ago

Hi everyone. I just moved to NH about a month ago and in our backyard we now have a very large man made pond. I know the pond is about 10 feet deep but I am not sure how wide or long it is. Anyway, it is big and we have no idea how to care for it. I have called my local hardware store and they directed me to the UNH Cooperative Extension. I am not exactly sure what it is but the lady said she is gonna send me some information.

In the meantime I was wondering if anybody here has any information that could help us. We are very concerned about mosquitos as we have three children and a dog. They are already all over the pond. Now the water in this pond is not entirely stagnant as there is some run off from the mountain behind us, but we do also have some stagnant areas in the yard do to the run off as well. The water drains from the mountain into the pond and down a small creek next to our driveway to a drainage system. I think this pond may also be tied into our well somehow which is again why we are concerned about treating the mosquitos etc.

Also, there are about 1 zillion tadpoles in this pond! It is crazy! You walk along the edge and see them all scatter. I am not sure if this should be a concern though. I like frogs as long as they are not those bull frogs that are gonna keep me up all night!!! And there are a tone of leaves at the bottom of the pond. Is there a way to clean this without actually getting in? I have no intensions of getting in this pond ever! My husband pulled out the biggest leach I have ever seen... yuck!!!

To make a long story short, we want to make this pond beautiful and we want to make it safe for our children and pets. We are thinking of stocking fish in the pond but I am a little concerned that they may go down the drainage pipe and end up somewhere they shouldn't be and the last thing I want to do is mess with the environment.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance and have a great weekend!

- Cassandra

Comments (8)