SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Yeah, I know it is considered a minor sport

gandle
16 years ago

But not in Nebraska. Women's volleyball, that is. Leone and I really love the sport after watching 4 granddaughters play in high school and 1 played in college. The University of NE has the top rated volleyball team in the country and has won the national title 3 times in the last 5 years. All the seats are sold out for the year in both the field house and the colesium so there is little or no chance of watching these women play--but--the Nebraska Book Store somehow managed to buy a block of seats, in fact 150 of them in the colesium which holds over 13,000 seats and held them for veterans in the state. All you had to do was enter your name in the drawing and my name came up as a winner so, Leone and I went to the games yesterday in Lincoln between the NE women and Hawai'i. Hawai'i is rated no. 7 and NE no. 1 so we knew it would be an exciting evening and it was. NE women won in 3 sets but the games were close and well played.

Last year when we went to New York we saw the team at the airport in Omaha and they were impressive. The tallest, Sarah Pavin is a little over 6'5" and the rest are well over 6' except for the lebrero and she comes in at a towering 5'6". Good for a lebrero I suppose since she spends most of the time going to the floor after someone tries to kill the ball. Actually, far more strategy is needed for volleyball than basketball and the women seem to appreciate playing to a packed house every time they play, some of their opponents however seem to be rattled by the huge crowds.

It was fun and the Bookstore treated us to a meal, 2 T-shirts plus the seats and we are grateful along with 74 other veterans and spouses or friends.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions
More Discussions