SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jpinard_gw

We lost a lot of fish - need advice

jpinard
16 years ago

I can't go into alot of detail right now, but over the last 8 months I've been sick a lot and we've had a lot of difficulties.

In late May we got 5 beautiful new Butterfly Koi that had been quaratined for 6 weeks. They looked fantastic and the rest of our fish were in great shape too. Everything was great until late July/early August and we had an insanely wicked dry/heat spell. Stupidly we thought our aeration was adequate despite the temps - but I think our pond temp probably hit 90. Mid-August 3 of the new Butterfly Koi died.

Fall a few of our Sarasa Comets died.

Winter came and we had a hole in the ice, but every time there was a thaw - more fish died.

This winter we lost 8 fish including the remaining 2 new Butterfly Koi.

We could not find signs of disease on all the fish. The Buttefly Koi that died in the summer just got lethargic and stopped eating... then died. The other fish were too decomposed to see fi they had fish-bloat, ick, fungus etc. but if I had to guess I'd say they didn't.

My question. Is it because it got so hot and their immune systems were compromised? We'd NEVER had a die-off before and I just can't tell if it was concidence with the new Butterfly Koi or if it was because of a chain of events we didn't handle correctly. We have about 30 fish left. Al Sarasa Comets and Fantail Goldfish. Thanks for the help.

Comments (15)