SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tigerfern

Help with selecting Pond Components

tigerfern
16 years ago

I am planning on building a pond in my backyard for plants and some fish (4-5 Koi). I want it to be about 4 ft deep in the center and 6.5 ft wide by 10 ft long with a waterfall/short stream. Some calculations that I did show that this pond will be roughly 1950 gallons (probably will be less). Is this enough for 4-5 koi, and and is 4 ft deep enough for them to survive our winter? The thickest ice we have ever had was about 4 inches this year to my knowledge. If having koi isn't feasible, then I wouldn't be mad if I couldn't have them. These are the components that I have selected so far:

Skimmer: Savio skimmerfilter with 8.5 inch weir

Filter: Savio livingponds waterfall filter with 22 inch weir

Liner: 20 x 20 45mil Firestone EPDM liner

Pump: Savio water master solids 2050 gph or pondmaster mag drive 2400 gph

Bottom Drain: tetra 3 inch or bottom drain retrofit

UV clarifier: do I need one?

The waterfall would most likely be a max of 3 ft high, so the pump should still be able to filter all of the water once an hour. The pond will have some shade during the morning, but will get afternoon sun. Do Koi really eat pond plants like mad? I was just thinking of having a clump of cannas, a taro, and maybe a tropical lily on the edge. I might even dare to put some water hyacinths in too.

One last question. What would I do for the winter? Would I put in an aerator and a de-icer with a small pump? I have a small pond now, but I just have plants and no fish.

Give me your thoughts!

Nick

Comments (12)