SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Slow to bloom orchids

orchidnick
14 years ago

I got 6 large adult pbulbs of Laelia superbiens alba 'Don Workhauser' CBM/AOS 3 years ago. A synonym for SCK, I never change tags to keep up with the likes of Eric Christensen. Obviously a blooming sized plant. It gets lots of light, the leaves are pale green, just like they should be. It gets lots of water and food, all the bulbs are fat, happy and fairly massive.

In 2 years it made 13 new growths, (plus 2 or 3 I traded away) and is now sporting 9 new leads. That's a total of 29 large pbulbs I'm feeding at this time. All the new leads are mature enough so one would be able to see the sheath developing.

IT IS FINALLY GOING TO HAVE ONE FLOWER STALK!!!! I have heard of late bloomers but this takes the cake. All of my other SCKs have bloomed much earlier, I know they are slow about this but 29 bulbs and one flower stalk?.

Some Cattleya expert who talked at our meetings said I treat it too well, it has no need to bloom. He was not kidding, he seriously thought the reproductive need is diminished when things are going too well. He suggested I starve it a little and move it closer to the garbage cans! This concept is true for humans, the birth rated in developed countries is less than needed to sustain the population while underdeveloped countries are exploding with new babies.

Comments on healthy, happy, fat but under achieving plants?

Nick

PS Sorry Lori, OG is still waiting for that goat before unending good news will come your way.

Comments (21)

• garlicgrower
    14 years ago

We have an old-timer - oops, I mean "experienced grower" in our orchid club that says
    "It's a reliable bloomer - it blooms once every 25 years!"
    Tee-hee - sorry that didn't really help.
    I've just learned to accept that some plants love my conditions and bloom like clockwork, while others simply do not like my conditions, and will not. We pass on the vegetating ones to other who may have the correct conditions, and get more of what we think will like it at our ghouse.
    We kill phals regularly, but funny, we can get other species, even some "rare" and some considered "difficult" to bloom. We've brought a few "back from the dead" but then again, sent others to the grave.
    We love a challenge plant for the challenge, we love one that blooms reliably for the blooms, though either can become a bore after a while, and take up valuable bench space.
    Good luck ~ :-)

• terpguy
    14 years ago

Totally agree with garlic, eventually nonbloomers wear out their welcome...

This seems to be coming up a bit lately. On the OSF CJ posted about 3 plants that she can't get to bloom, while others requiring similar conditions grow just fine. For the most part, its suggested that if its not blooming, its not getting what it needs as far as culture. However, one of hers, a vanda, is a hybrid of a vanda thats world renouned for being incredibly difficult to bloom in any given environment. So sometimes it really is genetics.

I'd agree with the expert on this. Nature is usually forced to choose between reproduction and self preservation (just look at roses: Huge attractive reproductive organs, little in the way of self defense). Giving it what it needs to keep it fat and happy tips the scales in favor of self preservation. Stress/winter rests, less water, less fertilizer...SOMETHING to stress the poor thing and make it fear for its life.

Also, just a thought: exactly how much light are you giving it? My L. anceps never bloomed unless the leaves got a nice shade of purple. If superbiens gets this as well, even higher light is in order. If not, well try burning the thing in vanda light and see how it likes that.

Lastly, How do you treat it over winter? This harkens back to the stressing...

Can you clarify SKC and what its a synonym for?

• Related Discussions

Blooms Slow in Coming

Q

Comments (9)
    Is there anything cuter then a Beagle puppy? And his/her owner is a nice looking guy too......Your photos are wonderful. I have never tried Larksper although someone in the neigborhood's patch is in bloom right now and I find it most appealing...... Rose Leibeszauber is a very nice rose indeed and your picture captures her beauty.....Everything looks so bright and colorful. I even think the daylily is a pretty one. More to come I hope..........Maryl
    ...See More

Season Slowing Ongoing. Four More Blooming

Q

Comments (12)
    Maryl, I only finally got Cat Ballou last year, so I figure it will be the end of the 3rd season (next year) minimum before I can tell what it will do for me. It is a bit of a bud builder, and it re bloomed very well last year. Brad, that is a wonderful idea! I will give it a try, and give the beer a try in another area, and then, use the snail bait in another and see what works the best, or if all work. Meryl, where did you get toads to import to your yard? If all work well, I will go with the sand since the others require special purchases. Thanks much all. kay
    ...See More

Slow spring. I have just these two irises blooming so far:

Q

Comments (0)
    Slow spring. I have just these two irises blooming so far: Home Depot Yellow and Rougissant.
    ...See More

Tuff Stuff Hydrangea slow growing not blooming

Q

Comments (3)
    Tuff Stuff is quite tough but if its root system got cut too much when packaging to fit into the pot, it may take more time to rebuild it and grow faster. Some hydrangeas will go slow for 1-2 years and take off afterwards. Mine was a Mathilda Gutges. Extremely doubtful that it is getting "too little" sun with 4 hrs of sun. Even 1-2 hours would still be fine. Better check that it does not get uneven watering because the 'dry times' could also cause the plant to abort the blooms and brown them out. And make sure it is not planted too deep. Water the soil (never the leaves) very early in the mornings; say 1 gallon of water per watering (1.5g in the summer) and keep it well mulched so the moisture does not quickly evaporate (3-4" up to the drip line). If you water the leaves and blooms, you might end up with fungal infections like Gray Mold (which browns out the blooms) or powdery mildew.
    ...See More
  • orchidnick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

SKC is a synonym for SCK (Schomburkia) when you have incipient Alzheimers or are borderline dyslexic which ever came first. All of my L anceps have been in full sun from sunrise to sunset with no relief whatsoever for years and they love it. You cannot do this with any other Laelia that I know off.

I treat it too nice, no Winter rest etc, but its going to bloom now so we'll see what next year brings.

Nick

• terpguy
    14 years ago

LMAO thanks, that was my laugh for the day!

At least you got one, thats something! One down, 28 to go!

• stitzelweller
    14 years ago

Nick wrote, I never change tags to keep up. I agree.

I always keep my plants labeled as they were when acquired. If information is "trashed", it's gone forever. "Old" information may become valuable knowledge in future decades. It isn't necessary to "adopt" the new names. Someone gave a LOT of thought to those names.

The people who change genera/species names? They retire and they expire!

--Stitz--

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

Start abusing it. Slap it around, throw it against the wall. Sit it right next to the compost heap and forget about it. Don't water and certainly stop feeding it.

Do or die!

Jane

• arthurm
    14 years ago

I think the abbreviation is Schom. Most grow too big to cart to shows etc.

The only related orchid i have is a Schom/Cattleya cross and it is treated as Jane says....out in the weather next to Den. speciosum. The leaves on the Schom/Cattleya cross look dreadful, but the plant flowers every year.

As for the name changes, i am ignoring most of them, but the day of reckoning must come.

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have 3 types of 'Schomburgias'. A Laelia, a Laeliacattleya and several 'real' Schomburgias. Both the L and the LC are called superbiens and bloom just like a SCK with 4' to 5' long stalks and a bunch of pink/lav flowers. If you only looked at the flowers you would think they are SCKs.

The bulbs are totally different though. SCKs have hollow cane like structures, in nature these are the homes of ant colonies which actually defend the plant. The L and the LC even though they are called 'superbiens' have Catt like pbulbs. I don't understand the connection as the flowers look exactly the same but the plants are obviously different. I have seen the 'superbiens' called all three names, L, LC and SCK. Any one know how these plants are related?

Nick

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    Have a similar experience with terete Vandas. They grow like weeds in every situation. Some finally grew through the roof of the SH . They amost exploded with flowers . So I'm thinking not enough sun so attached some to a palm trunk ,good growth but plant looks on deaths door lol. This year those growing on a Cattley guava in the yard in dense shade are flowering as well as those in full sun.
    But the plant looks ten times healthier .
    Was also surpised at those growing through the roof since they experienced lows of around 33 for a couple of hours. They didn't even slow down while those in pots placed in the warm room have not flowered since!!!!
    Certainly as much art as science in growing orchids lol gary

• cjwatson
    14 years ago

To straighten out the Schomburgkias, this is what is currently in fashion. The hollow-bulbed ones have to moved to their only genus of Myrmecophila. The non-hollow-bulbed ones stay as Schomburgkia.

The L. superbiens is a Schomburgkia, not a Laelia. I have it as a parent in the hybrid Schombocattleya Cholletiana (Schom superbiens alba x mossiae wageneri alb), sometimes wrongly called Lc Cholletiana. This is a huge plant I grew from a small seedling which hasn't bloomed yet, but is still within normal bloom expectations for its age.

As another point on non-bloomers, I tend to like intergeneric hybrids which sometimes have difficulty growing and blooming because the parent genera are fairly distant genetically. The two examples I posted up at OSF were a Paravandrum hybrid (Paraphalaenopsis x Ascocentrumx Vanda) and a Doricentrum hybrid (Doritis x Ascocentrum). A very few people have bloomed these, some have tossed them into the compost heap. I am waiting to see. They have been moved around to all different types of environment; more light, less light, more water, less water, warmer, cooler, etc., and still no blooms. They were mature plants when I got them, but with no sign of prior blooming even back then, five years ago. As long as I have space, they can stay. But it may be that these are genetically doomed to extinction.

Of course, being a glutton for punishment, I will continue with these various oddball intergenerics because most bloom out. I am currently hovering like a momma bear over a compot of Angraecom didieri x Asctm miniatum, about three years to bloom.

• orchid126
    14 years ago

Did you dutifully move it up to a bigger pot size as it grew? I had a dendrobium nobile that I did this with and it had many many canes but it never bloomed. Finally I told it bloom or die and put it back on the shelf and did not pot it up. It grew so potbound that the roots and canes were hanging over the edge of the pot. That winter it was so covered with blossoms that you couldn't see the leaves.

• terpguy
    14 years ago

Holy cow where you ge that didieri cross cj??

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks CJ that explains a lot. I will at least double label some of them as what I currently have does not make sense.

Nick

• cjwatson
    14 years ago

You're welcome, Nick. It's all I can do to keep up with the 'important' changes as opposed to the arbitrary ones that are constantly being thrown at us.

terp, Botanica put the mini-compot up on Ebay as a buy-it-now, which I did. They also had up an individual potted seedling -- fractionally larger than the biggest one in the compot -- which went for bidding. They may have more if you e-mail them.

As for where they came from originally, before they folded, Hoosier was doing some of these odd crosses with Angs, and this could have been of their flasks... or maybe not, lol.

• crueltyfre
    14 years ago

thats great, can't wait to see a picture! Guess I better take your advice and find me a goat...
    Lori

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Get 2 goats, Lori. I decided to move it as the developing spike needed more head room and in the process broke it offffffffff.......

I tool around with a very convenient handicap tag on my car, not because I'm handicapped but because my son in law is an orthopedic surgeon. Do they have MENTAL HANDICAP TAGS for a clutz like me? The only good thing about it is that at my age next year will be here so fast it will seem like tomorrow.

You are aware that life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer it gets to the end the faster it rolls.

Maybe I should post 'crying, moaning, groaning and venting, Episode 9.' Or are we up to 10?

Nick

• xmpraedicta
    14 years ago

CJ - I'm so glad you got one of those...I saw someone auctioning off angraecum didieri x ascocentrum garayi on Ebay, also a remnant of the hoosier legacy. I was nearly tempted, but they would have probably perished in my conditions. I'll be waiting eagerly for your plants to bloom!

• cjwatson
    14 years ago

Thanks for reminding me, Calvin! The compot I got was the didieri x Asctm garayi, not miniatum. Hoping for a pale peach Ang-looking flower someday.

Last year I had gotten two seedlings of Angraecum didieri x Vascostylis Pine River from Hoosier. Killed both dead as a doornail within a couple months. This time I am watering very sparingly, which goes just the opposite of what you want to do with wee seedlings.

• petite_orange
    14 years ago

On the "reluctant bloomer" topic, I have had a C. warscewiczii since about 2003. It grows like a weed, and I finally divided it into 3 pieces last year from a 14" pot that was bursting apart. Each division had about 30 pseudobulbs.
    To date, none of them have bloomed, though all are growing/going nuts with growth.
    I've followed the cultural instructions at Chadwick Orchids (I see it has since been taken down); in short, everything from desert to mud, sun to full shade, food, starvation, abuse and neglect.
    No joy.
    I am sure that when it blooms, it will be simply spectacular.
    Cheers - Nancy

• localoca
    14 years ago

I have a Laelia Pulcherrima that bloomed very little until I discovered that it needs tons of light. I stopped treating it with care and put it out side where it got like 6 hours of direct sun light a day. It exploded with flowers this summer I can post a picture later. I water it whenever I remember

• crueltyfre
    14 years ago

Nick, I can't believe you broke the spike after waiting so long! But we've all been there and done that. I'll go google for goats now...
    Lori

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!