SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azponder

Problem child pot...Roots can't breathe?

azponder
16 years ago

Here in sunny Arizona I am on year 2 with my pond and I have been experimenting with different plants and at different depths. I have had some great success with a few different plants (canna especially) but one particular pot is either doom to whatever I put in it or I have just picked plants that dont like the heat or the birds that I get.

The pot is a whopper to move. It's about 2.5' in diameter and 9 inches deep and filled with soil. I have tried two different grasses, zebra rush, taro, pickerel rush and lizard's tail. Dead. Dead and dead. I've tried them at various depths too. Right at the water line to around 2inches below.

For a while I thought the birds were doing my plants in because the area of the pond that I have to put this beast pot is in the flight path of birds that fly in over my wall and in to the area to drink and bathe. But this year I pushed it back and stuff is still dying in there.

I drilled a holes in it but they are maybe pencil sized and probably 3 inches apart. When I dug in to the soil this last time to plant something it was black and stank of rot. Now a lot of flow goes over it and it catches leaves and algae so it may just be rot from the surface.

Is this pot just doom for plants? Is it too big and too impermeable for water that the soil goes anaerobic?

Comments (5)