SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garry_gardener

fish deaths

garry_gardener
16 years ago

I live in Dublin Ireland where the winters are quite mild, rarely going below zero Centrigrade(32farenheit). I have an external pond less than 3000litres capacity . A shelf on three side about 300mm deep with the centre about 1metre . A few years ago it contained 225 goldfish and 1 large koi .I got rid of about 125 fish - too expensive to keep , also Mr Heron helped . I had about 100 till 14 days ago . They started dying so now I have about 5 left including the koi.I brought a few dead ones to the vet. Some ,not all had a sheen of white around them . She performed an autopsy(!) on one . Could not discover anything unusual . Gills were OK . The white sheen she said was a secondary infection . It could have been because of overcrowding . The fact that 225 had lived happily a few years ago was because of the fact that the winters were a small bit colder and that the winters could have killed the bacteria . This winter has been quite warm in comparison. She told me to change the water , but keeping some and to put some salt in . Any ideas because I dont want this to happen again . By the way these 225 fish came from 5- yes 5 fish which I put in there about 10 years ago when I dug the pond . A lot of maintenance but well worth it. Thanks

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz