SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greendale_gw

Orchid first timer needs help

greendale
10 years ago

Hi, All:

I am still reading through the posts in this forum (and thanks for all the people that shared their knowledge - I have learned a lot about Orchids already). But I think I will post my questions here first - so please bear with me if I asked some stupid questions.

I just bought two orchids from a bbs clearance rack. One is B. little stars. Another label is missing, but I think it is some kind of Phals. I never had orchids before. I had 'some' ( 1 year) experience on some common house plants using gritty mix (learned the mix from container gardening forum it is pine bark fines, gran-I-grit and turface). The B. little was in big chunk of barks and the Phals was in spag moss. I have repotted them into gritty mix but after some googling and reading, I think it might not be a good potting media for them. I think I still have some repibark left, should I put the orchids into pure repibark? Also, I saw some people using leca, is it the same as hydroton? If using leca, do I have to go semi-hydro, or just water it like normal house plant? I also read about mount the B. little stars, it kind interesting, but is it too challenging for a beginner like me? also can I mount it on a piece of wood, but do not hang it up- just put the mounted little stars in a plate? Sorry for all these questions, I just wanted to get some ideas what should I buy to report (again) these orchid into so that I do not kill them before it is too late. What potting media works for you and is there anything needed to watch out for that particular media? And last one (promised) - Our house is pretty dry (because of the heater) in winter time, what do I need to be careful? I know my questions are overwhelming :) Thanks a lot. Here is the B. little stars.

This post was edited by greendale on Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 22:22

Comments (7)