SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

I love Dends! Who else?

aachenelf z5 Mpls
16 years ago

OK, lets get some friendly competition going with the the phal folks.

I do have this feeling that a lot of people only think of the grocery store Dend phal hybrids when they think of this most remarkable genus. Such a sad state of affairs! I'm also convinced that Dends appeal to the truly enlightened orchid enthusiast who craves variety and unsurpassed beauty in their collection. Did you know that Paris Hilton loves phals, but Greta Garbo loved Dends. Who do you admire more???? The colors, shapes, sizes and fragrances of Dends simply cannot be rivaled by an other orchid genus.

With over 1200 species in the wild (phals come in at an unremarkable 50), there has to be at least a dozen each and every person could grow to perfection in whatever conditions they have. Truly a very varied and adaptable group of orchids! For years the rumors of a Dend native to the pine forests of Northern Minnesota have circulated. Pollinated by loons, it has to be the most hunted plant on the planet. Even though no one has ever brought one of these beauties back to civilization, it already has a name - Dendrobium winnebago. Now could a phal live in country like that? I think not.

Others make yourself known. It's time to come out and publicly profess your love for the both the king and queen of orchids.

Clevin

Comments (37)