SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bfroberts

Pics of my pond, and thanks to all!

bfroberts
16 years ago

This is my first attempt at posting pics. My pond is three years old and like the rest of my yard, it is a work in progress. It is about 2000 gallons. I run a submersible pump which sits in an Adam's type filter, and the water is pumped up through the old pitcher pump through bio media and runs into the pond through the trough filled with rocks and pebbles (the trough is made to resembled the type of trough one would pan for 'gold' in, if anyone knows what I'm talking about). I do allow the tannins from the tree leaves to color my water somewhat b/c I'm not happy when it gets crystal clear. Doesn't look natural in my setting. Never have algae problems and the water tests at good levels. So, I've never gotten too sophisticated with filtration. The pond depth ranges from 12" to 42". The pond is heavily shaded and the water stays cool so my plants are always slow to get going, both in and out of the water. As the water/weather warms up, things slowly start to take off, which is where we are now. We have about 60 assorted goldfish, mostly babies, and several frogs.

Thanks to everyone who has been kind enough to answer my questions. I have found everyone here to be extremely kind and knowledgable and always willing to help.

BTW, I have a few rocks on the bottom of my pond in the shallow areas b/c I love the look. I keep them clean though and although it is a little extra work, it is worth it to get the look I like. Rocks on the bottom aren't always a bad thing, IMO ;-)

If anyone has any constructive critisism, I'd love to hear it. We love tweaking the pond!

{{gwi:179120}}

{{gwi:179121}}

{{gwi:179123}}

Comments (10)