SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dubai_gardener

How to improve salty sandy alkaline soil?

dubai-gardener
10 years ago

Hello,

I live in Dubai and our soil is salty sandy and alkaline. I would like to practice organic gardening and find it hard with the limited resources we have here. I do buy potting soil and peat moss but my plants are not thriving (all the neighbors have trees and plants that look healthy and grow fast but I am sure their gardeners use chemical fertilizers, common practice here). I just started composting again (after failed attempt last year). But it will take me a long time to have enough for my whole garden, so this is something I am starting to use in the long run. I am also planning to make fish hydrolysate. I searched a lot online and feel overwhelmed with all the info. I also searched locally for things like blood meal but they seem to be available in commercial quantities only. I am going to use square foot gardening and container gardening, but I also want to improve the soil in other parts of my garden where I have trees in the ground.
I am able to buy:
potting soil , peat moss, coco peat, vermicompost (very expensive), manure, gypsum (from building materials shops), perlite, "sweet soil" aka not salty sand, nd probably a few others.
We don't have much rain but we have irrigation.

My question is what would I need to buy to create a balanced soil. If someone could break down to me what I need in regards of N P K etc and several alternatives for each. This way I could use this list as a starting point and start looking around. Also the required quantities per sq foot or meter, or how much to apply would be beneficial.

This post was edited by dubai-gardener on Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 14:24

Comments (13)