SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blackeyedgurl

Powdery Mildew on catnip indoors, HELP!

blackeyedgurl
14 years ago

I brought my catnip plant indoors for the winter so my cats will have a steady supply all winter. After battling aphids all summer (finally gone), I am now confronted once again with Powdery Mildew!

Last year when I was in a much damper apartment I encountered the same thing. The catnip came in and within a few weeks the leaves were starting to spot. This apartment is considerably warmer and drier, and still PM! (it is a different pot and gorwing media, so I don't think it is related to last year's issue).

I just noticed it last night, and cut off the most severly affected parts. The plant is small and is definately in a fragile way right now. I don't want to cut too much off, hence killing it.

Is there a food safe (animal safe) way to treat this plant to get rid of this?? Last year I had the genius thoguht to spray the plant with diluted vinegar (it kills other mildews!), and the plant croaked and my cats were none too happy! Organic fungicides would also be welcome!

Info: Apt is roughly 65 degrees (warmer during the day). Nip is in a West window, living with an orchid and a spider plant (neither of which are PMed). Plant is only watered when dry and is rarely fertilized.

I do have Physan 20 which I could use to treat the plant if I needed to (and I believe this is safe).

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Comments (14)