SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
the_analyst

Help! Masde Death

the_analyst
12 years ago

I've been struggling to keep a masdevallia alive, that I purchased back in March. I posted a few months ago, when I initially starting having problems (rapid leaf drop), but I cannot find the post for the life of me.

Here is the care info:

Located in a shaded area. Receives about 5 hours of light from a 60-watt CFL equivalent; the same lighting I used for my mounted gastrochilus (see image; the light fixture is above the elephant bush, next to gastro and aimed down and towards the masde). I have a tray with pebbles under the masde, used for humidity. I also mist the masde almost daily. I found if I give it a full watering (with or without fertilizer), it will drop leaves the next day. I have a fan on the floor aimed up to circulate the air about 5-7 hours a day. Generally, the house does not get above 76 degrees. I believe the pot it is in is a bit too large for it, however it was repotted due to my cat accidentally breaking the old pot and this was all I could find at the time. The medium is sphag.

The leaf drop has still be occurring on occasion and it is slow at producing new leaves. Today, I noticed one of the leaves looks diseased or burned. I do not believe it is some kind of insect, as it will not wipe off.

At this point, I do not know what else to do for the orchid. Can anyone help?

{{gwi:182380}}

{{gwi:182381}}

Thanks,

Sarah

Comments (15)