SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
djthomp28

Orchid exchange forum

Greetings All! I recently learned that there is an exchange forum especially for orchids on garden web. Unfortunately there is not a lot of activity on that forum. So I was wondering if people are not using it because they are unaware it exists or if there are other reasons for the lack of activity. Thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: Orchid Exchange Forum

Comments (20)

• terpguy
    10 years ago

Couple reasons. It used to be more active, but the nature of this forum has become such that most people on here are very new to the hobby and don't have anything to trade. Others it's because the live outside the US, and others still just don't want to trade what they have.

Of course being unaware of that forum or having apprehension about doing something like that if you've never done it before could very well be the issue as well.

• James _J
    10 years ago

I used to look at it once and a while, sometimes I forget it is there. For me the problem is finding someone who has what I want and wants what I have.

My wife belongs to something called paperback exchange. People submit a list of books they have, the site creates a list, you then select what you want. It then sends you an PDF with an address on it. She prints it wraps the book in it and drops it in the mail. In a few days a book show up from some random person. I though this would be interesting to do with orchids.

• Related Discussions

Just signed up for 'Orchid Board' forum...

Q

Comments (6)
    I have also made the same observations with other forums as well. Much of it seems to be hard economic times for many -- some of whom have given up their collections or just barely tend to them on a day to day basis. I know a few who have had to shut down their greenhouses because of the heating bills. Anyone paying attention has also sadly seen numerous orchid dealers go out of business over the past few years as well. The OSF seems to be the most awake, but it is still fairly quiet compared to the way it usually had been. I hope all will perk up come the spring.
    ...See More

Terrarium exchange forum idea I posted on the Suggestions forum

Q

Comments (8)
    I think it's a great idea! I may have only been on this site for a mere 5 days or soi, but I've browsed around enough to know the ins-and-outs of gardenweb and find it difficult to go from one exchage forum to the next simply tp see whats up for grabs, imasgine if I truly wanted something and posted.I know that I've been searching for some nice ghost wood or other nice woods from places other than black jung;e and would like some really really nice, terratium appropriate broad-leaved lpants and orchids for the one I'm making now, but when I went in serch I realized that the majority are extremely large and too waterintolerant or the like. Not to mention most ferns in the fern exchage are staghorns. If I wanted one of those, I'd get it from my backyard, but I'm not in need of one.hell if there was an exchange here I think it may even be as easy as saying " I need large plants for my WTFs(white's tree frogs) and possibly get a few good offers. I think this idea is a great one.... two thumbs up.. I'll give my go ahead in the other forum as well! -Andrew
    ...See More

Forum Speak: Orchid Forum Acronyms and Abbreviations

Q

Comments (0)
    FORUM-SPEAK: Acronyms and Abbreviations BS Blooming Size DH Dear Husband (darned husband, depending on the instance) DD, DS Dear daughter , Dear Son (you get the picture, see above) DIL Daughter in-law EOM End of Message EOoM Exotic Orchids of Maui, a grower many on the forum use IME In My Experience IMHO In My Humble Opinion LOL Laughing Out Loud NBS Near Blooming Size OGRES Orchid Grower Rating/Evaluation System SIL Son-in-Law S/H Semi-hydroponic S/O Significant other ST Superthrive R/O Reverse Osmosis ROFLMAO Rolling on floor laughing my A$$ off ROFLOL Rolling on floor laughing out loud Submitted by RhondaFL and Michigoose
    ...See More

Exchange forum

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi there, You can find the exchange directory right here. Hope that helps!
    ...See More
  • sambac
    10 years ago

I have had great exchanges with Nick and a few other veteran growers here, Trying to be a little more generous with the exchange always work out good in the long run. Exchanges with some( may be new to orchids ??) left a bad taste in my mouth(dead root, diseased plant), and some did not even return the plant exchange One of them I think has name ID starts as 'Dr something' Then I think it is not worth my time, leave alone the plant and the cost of shipping/ Actually I have quite a few doubles and spares around at this point.
    It's a nice idea and lots of fun, whether you need those plants or not- everyone has to keep their end of the bargain and be fair!!
    Ok , that was my 2 cents....

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I definitely understand that less experienced growers have less to offer in trades. Still everyone probably has a couple of orchids that others might be interesting in. Plus a more active exchange forum may actually attract more experienced growers to this community.

It is concerning that all forum users have not been fair. I am disappointed to hear that some people have not returned the trade or returned diseased plants. I guess there are always some risk involved with making trades on forum. Still I really like the idea.

It would be really awesome to have something like the paperback exchange that Lumpy mentioned. I like that idea a lot. For now, I hope that the exchange forum does pick-up again. It seems like it was a nice feature in the past.

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

4 to 5 years ago. when the exchange forum was at it's peak, I used it all the time. It became part of a weekly routine to see what was offered, make deals, pack the plants Sunday afternoon and ship them out Monday morning. Wednesday or Thursday one or more packages would arrive and new plants were potted or mounted.

Only once did some teenage kid take a few of us for a ride and accept our plants without returning. He was immediately blackballed and heard from no more. The active traders got to know each other and made some great deals. I felt I never lost anything as I only offered divisions of big plants where removing 10% really made no difference. I expected nothing else in return. If a division would seriously reduce the strength or appearance of a plant I would not divide it and not offer it.

I also made divisions in anticipation of future trades. If I got a 10 leaf Masdie, I would immediately split off 3 leaves and pot them up. Not tradable at that point but 6 month later with 2 or 3 new leaves it becomes a trade plant.

The cost of shipping, usually between $5 and $8 would be the cost of 3 or 4 plants, there exist no better deals. Unfortunately the whole thing died out. I once wrote an article for our society newsletter and tallied a total for a year. In the particular year I received slightly over 200 plants for a postage cost of about $350. Less than $2.00 per plant.

Some people would ship entire plants in a pot full of whatever and pay massive postage for one plant but the vast majority of plants are shipped bare-root at minimal cost. It is seasonal as when it gets cold it is not feasable to certain parts of the country.

It was a lot of fun and I miss it but it takes 2 to tango, it is not a solitary exercise.

Nick

• garlicgrower
    10 years ago

Hello All:
    I've had a couple of good trades via the exchange part of the forum. Too bad that some abuse the system, but other situations work out well.
    Also, Nick graciously sent me a few corms of a species I want to try and we worked it out. I will send him a corm of another deciduous species when it finally goes dormant.
    Thanks, Nick -
    Maryanne in WMass

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

Thank you Maryann. Greencurls and I are in the middle of another trade.

Trades can be unbelievable! Someone and I are putting the finishing touches on a trade which involves him sending me 60 Bulbos, some quite rare and I sending him 60 Pleuro types. We will probably get the plants for less than a Dollar each. It only takes one or two of this kind of activity to do wonders for one's collection. I will report if and when it happens.

The trick is that you don't really give up anything. If I have a small plant I would never trade it But removing 7 or 8 leaves from a Masdevallia that has 40 leaves makes no lasting impression. Similarly for a large Bulbo spilling over it's pot, having a front lead removed, goes unnoticed. If this trade happens and I think it will, neither of us is really giving up anything and both of us are gaining new plants To buy 60 Bulbos (or Pleuro types) from Andy or Carolina Orchids would cost a minimum of $1,200, more realistically between $1,500 and $2,000. Our postage, the only real cost besides time spent putting it all together, will probably be less that $50.

To do something like that you need a large collection, time to spare and the psychotic need to add more plants. Normal people probably would not do this.

Nick

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I never really thought about creating division in anticipation of a trade. I will have to start doing that more often. If I don't trade them here, I am sure my orchid society table would appreciate it. I am still hoping to see a revival of the exchange forum. Clearly it can benefit both new and veteran orchid growers.

The 60 bulbos for 60 pleuros is a pretty amazing swap! Although I am sure it will be a lot of work, it will be great. Good luck.

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

My half of the trade just went down. I sent him:

DRACULA
    Raven
    Black Magic
    platycrater 'Claire'
    chimaera 'Chocolate'
    hawleyi (div of type plant)
    hirtzii alba
    terborchii
    andreatae
    beleropheron (different)
    chestertonii âÂÂquetzaloatteâÂÂ
    chiroptera âÂÂgrendelâÂÂ
    insolita 'Margaret'
    robeldoram âÂÂ'Anna'
    hirtzii 'John Leathers'
    lemurella
    marsupialis
    roezlii 'Jim Nytakken'
    vampira 'Bella Lugosi' FCC/AOS
    vampira x beleropheron
    vampira (HH x Tyler) x Waltwer
    citrina

DRACUVALLIA
    Gualaquiza
    Stiles 'Pacifica'
    Blue Boy 'Cow Hollow'

MASDEVALLIA
    caloptera
    chuspipatae
    coccinea 'Bull's Blood'
    coriacea
    datura
    elegans
    ignea 'Crestwood'
    maxilimax
    mendoza xanthia
    polistricta (blue)
    racemosa
    santa insae
    superbiens
    torta
    veitchiana
    xanthia (red)
    Tourmaline 'Rapture'
    Patricia Hill Frasier
    Falcata 'Ruby'

PLEUROTHALLIS
    anfracta
    ascera
    canaligera
    garganthua xanthia
    grandiflora
    liliae
    nephroglossa
    penelops
    rubarima (red)
    sclerophylla
    talpinario (purple)
    pectinata

These are divisions I'm sending him. The Pleuro pectinata is the crown jewel, almost unobtainable but I managed to get 2 of them after looking for 2 years. He is sending me some rare Bulbos so it's a fair trade.

We send these things bare-root. I wrap a little moist Sphagnum Moss around the roots and then enclose it with a sheet of foil. No need to pay tons pf postage to ship pots and bark all over the country. We each have our own way of growing things anyway, when I get plants I usually unpot them and then do them my way. He will spend a good portion of this weekend situating these 50 plants.

He was going to send me the Bulbos this weekend but I get to go to the OR to have my GB removed next Wed so his plants will sit for a couple of weeks until I recovered enough to deal with them. The postage fee was $27.63 which will be my cost for 50 Bulbos some rare about $0.50 each. I'm not worried about the 2 to 3 weeks delay for the receipt of my stuff I know this guy and trust him. We traded before.

There is no better way to get new plants.

Nick

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nick - Your trade sounds amazing. It also sounds like a lot of dedication and work. Congrats on getting all of this done so efficiently. Please share the list of the rare bulbos when they come in and you get a chance to get them situated. I am very curious to hear about the other part of the trade.

I hope that you have a quick and easy recovery!

• ginnibug
    10 years ago

Nick
    How's your 'UN' gall bladder?
    gb

• ginnibug
    10 years ago

Nick
    gb

• ginnibug
    10 years ago

Nick
    gb

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

Soaking in alcohol or whatever they put it in. Amazing experience. Surgery started at 6PM and ended at 9PM 6 1/2 days ago. Extensive adhesion of the gallbladder and further problems with a hiatal hernia led to a difficult almost 3 hours laparoscopic surgery. I was ready to go home the next morning but they would not discharge my until the following day. Last pain shot 8 hours after surgery. At this time it is less than 1 week from a major abdominal surgery and I'm driving and leading an almost normal life.

In my days we would slice a person open and at this time I would just be limping home form a week in the hosp. My Bulbos will come next week.

Nick

• garlicgrower
    10 years ago

Hey, Nick - I wish you a speedy healing -
    Maryanne

• paulkoop
    10 years ago

I will have some divisions in the spring ill put on the exchange forum. im sure there is an inflex of people posting in the spring months when people are repotting.

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

The second half of the trade just went down. I received the following plants from him:

BULBOPHYLLUM
    alexandrae
    alkmaarense
    alisosum
    antenniferum
    caranculatum 'Andrea's Red'
    cheiri
    cornutum
    crassipes x 2
    curtesii var olutescens
    curtesii var purpureum
    cycloseptum
    dentiferum
    ebulbe
    erioides
    fascinator var hampeliana
    flammuliferum
    fraudulentum big
    fraudulentum, small
    fritallariflorum
    granniflora D&B
    hirtum
    hirundinis
    kermensium
    liliacina
    longibracteatum
    longisepalum
    longissimum 'Crown Point'
    marquilinguense
    mastersianum
    micholitzii
    miniatum
    morphologorum
    nilgherrense
    orientale
    ornatissimum
    ovaliflorum
    palawense
    pumascum
    purpurascens
    restrepia
    retusiusclum
    rufinum, all yellow
    rufinum 'Stripes'
    sahatorium
    sauropam 'Hill'
    scabratum x 2
    serratotuncatum
    setaceum
    stenobulbon
    strangularium
    tridentatum
    triste
    variable
    vincolbulbon

HAP
    dolichoglottis
    nitidum
    microhombos

SUNAPIA
    grandiflora

TRIAS
    discoflora

ERIA
    convalloriodeas
    vandenbergii

Since that adds up to 63 plants and I only sent him 50, we exchanged some cash (cheaper than Andy's) to make it equal. I spent the last 1 1/2 days mounting these plants. All except the Erias ended up mounted which is my preferred way to establish Bulbos. Once they get big I move some into pots.. All in all a good trade.

Nick

PS forgive misspelled names, I'm bushed and even though it is 9PM, it is 80F. That suckes. Over the next week or so I'll look up each of these plants to get some handle on this.

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

Trias, Sunipia and Hapolichilus are all genuses split from Bulbophyllum.

Nick

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow. That is an impressive list. Just wondering why you prefer to establish bulbos on mounts first?

• orchidnick
    10 years ago

I prefer mounts in general. That's how they grow in nature and I do well with that. Hard to overwater a mount but I definitely have lost bulbs to rot from overwatering. Ideally I would like to have 2 of each plant, one mounted and one in a shallow pot (we are talking about Bulbos). If the division of a new plant is small enough where it's going to be one or the other, I'll mount it and when it gets big enough make a new division and pot that.

Then there are some gangly ones that do well in hanging baskets.

Nick

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH