SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
destany_gw

4 mystery vines + 4 plants

destany
14 years ago

My husband and I moved into this house last August, it's 100 years old and while most of the yard was leveled, the back area and fence lines were overgrown with weeds and plants. This year, we've kept it trim, but didn't want to disturb too much until we figured out what was growing there. We've got some nice things! But we're still trying to sort out the nice from the not. I appreciate any help in figuring out what these are!

I'm at a loss with this vine. It grows on a 3" diameter trunk, and likes the top of the fence. I don't see any buds that could be berries or flowers as of yet, leaves get up to 6" across at least.

{{gwi:246360}}

This vine grows a few feet away from the first, it has no trunk but canes(?) come straight out of the ground. Again, no sign of berries or flowers, largest leaves are about 4" across.

{{gwi:246361}}

This vine is on the other side of the yard, tangled up with poison ivy honeysuckle and even some morning glories. That whole side of the fence is a mess!

{{gwi:246362}}

This vine grows near the porch in a part of the yard that was leveled last year. I've seen it sprout up in other parts of the yard though.

{{gwi:246363}}

I have this EVERYWHERE that grass doesn't grow.

{{gwi:246364}}

I thought this was wild violets, but didn't get any flowers. 6" tall and grows in clusters, likes the sun.

{{gwi:246365}}

I would like to know what these are so I can destroy them for good. Stupid things are extremely invasive and vigorous, last fall they were nearly six foot tall before we cut them down. They're everywhere on the back slope, no matter how many times I cut them down they come right back and I beleive they reproduce on runners underground because they grow about a foot apart and everytime I turn around there's more of them!

The foliage darkens a bit the as the plant gets bigger.

{{gwi:246366}}
Another pic:

{{gwi:246367}}

Lastly, is this a mimosa? I might just let it live if it is.

{{gwi:246368}}

Thank you for looking!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH