SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emyers_gw

Dwarf white clover. Do I need to wait (just planted garden)

emyers
15 years ago

Just planted my fall/winter garden.

Want to plant my first cover crop.

Intend to plant dwarf white clover in the aisles and areas around plants (primarily brassicas) to serve as a living mulch.

Problem is, I don't know when to plant.

I have a couple books by Elliot Coleman, that I've gone through to try and find an answer, but there doesn't seem to be one. In one of his crop rotation/cover crop schedules he shows that while the crop/cover crops are staggered, that they do indeed overlap (of course they do... green manure).

However, it doesn't give a time frame that would be suggested to wait between the time the seed is sown or the transplant is planted until the cover crop is sown.

Can anyone give me some idea as to how long I need to wait (if in fact I need to wait at all?) Ideally, I wouldn't need to wait because then I can start getting some green material on the soil; Thinking I might be able to forgo some other sort of mulch.

But then again, maybe I do need to put down some other sort of mulch in the meantime before I plant the cover crop.

In that regard, would there be some way to put down a mulch that I could also rake the cover crop seed into and maybe cover with more of the same, thus saving the step of having to remove the mulch prior to planting the cover crop seed?

Would compost (not that I have any yet) be appropriate for this (next season)? How about ground leaves (again, next season)?

Ideally the answer would be aged pine bark fines (I have a lot of them and a ready source), but it has been mentioned they are hydrophobic and that water could potentially move them around (off the plot)... so now I'm kind of leaning away from it.

Any ideas?

Comments (3)