SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheepco

Raccoon Story.....are your pets Rabies Vx current?

sheepco
16 years ago

Sorry, on my soapbox once again!

The names have been changed to not embarass the innocent ( and NO it was not me!)

Some time over the weekend Brian, Becky and Brad (all under 8yrs) were out playing in the yard and a raccoon happened to wander close..."oh Dad, look how friendly it is!"

They 'oh' and 'ah' over it, and eventually can feed it treats and touch it. How sweet! Oh oh, don't let Smokey (the husky) out, he might chase it away!

Towards the end of the 2nd or 3rd day, after the family has played with it frequently, suddenly the raccoon turns nasty, "oh Dad, it's hissing!" Dad shoos it away, but it comes after him and bites him, Ouch!

Later that evening Dad and Mom watch as the raccoon has a seizure in the yard....uh,oh...Mom hits the Net...'may show some signs of Rabies'....

Next morning Dad goes in to the local doctor to check out the bite wound...explains the story. Gets antibiotics for the wound. Doctor says "keep a close watch on the coon". So they go home, put the raccoon in a cage...and wait.

Next morning - lo and behold! The raccoon has escaped, no where to be found.

Mom calls the vet clinic to see if Smokey is current on his Rabies vaccination - no, sorry, he was due a month ago. She explains the whole story to me. The first thing I said was "call your Doctor and tell him the raccoon is gone, then give your doctor this # (MN Dept of Health). Then after a long conversation about everything I KNOW about Rabies, I explain that the area State Vet or I will get back to her. Then I called our area state vet and gave HIM the whole story...............I speculated on whether he thought I was making this up........

Anyway, he met with the family, the doctor, the dog, etc... the dog got a booster vaccination (he was kenneled and had no direct contact and was only a month past due), and the whole family that cuddled that cute coon is getting Rabies shots (only a series of 10 now). Thankfully they have no farm cats,

MY POINTS:

1) DON'T play with raccoons! (Did they think someone had dumped a pet coon into the wild?)

2) DON'T assume any wild animal is 'friendly'!

3) If a wild animal bites you - go to a doctor!

4) You DON'T quarantine a wild animal capable of carrying Rabies Virus that bites without provocation...you euthanize it and test it for Rabies. (sorry, but how stupid was this MD??? If that raccoon had been sent in for testing and came back negative no one would be getting shots!)

5) KEEP YOUR PETS RABIES VACCINATIONS CURRENT!!!

This spring we had a bat, found in a teenagers bed linens, positive for Rabies. That youth got Rabies shots, though he showed no signs of bite wounds. 2 years ago it was a barn kitten that was sickly and brought into the house - bit a child in the heel without provocation - tested positive for Rabies. 3 years ago it was a live bat a family found the farm dog playing with in the yard, during the day - tested postive for Rabies. The dog was euthanized and found negative........

.....$16.00 for a 3 year Rabies Vaccination (in MN) could prevent alot of heartache and pain (though not all)....it's out there, don't kid yourself.

Comments (12)