SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Any stuff in your garden for the animals?

strawchicago z5
12 years ago

Few years ago when I read books to my 5-years old, I first learned that a bat house would help bringing down the mosquito population (one bat can eat tons of mosquitoes in one day). I checked the wild life forum, but only found exciting anal-retentive threads like "What's this poop in my garage?" or "Feces Id, please."

Therefore I turn to you, the sophisticated rosarians, for enlightenment on things in your garden for the animals, such as: pictures of your bird baths/feeders/houses, bat house, and esp. raccoon traps (Just kidding).

I don't do much except for bird baths. My Mom on a 5-acres in Michigan with many bird baths told me to get plastic ones, since wind or the animals tip her bird baths over, breaking them.

Twelve years ago I got this $7 plastic bird-bath. It looked like a potty seat, but became elegant in my garden as it grayed with the weather. I filled the base with sand. It survived many 60-mph winds, and the birds love it - they really go for the white color. I got many yellow finch, red cardinals, and robins ... I have an expensive reddish clay bird bath, the birds hate it, so do I - it's heavy, clumsy, and a pain to clean.

Menard's have the white plastic bird bath on sale for $5.89 - it comes with tiny screws (throw these away and get longer screws). My hubby added a wooden block inside the stem for stability. Plastic bird bath is easier to clean. Here are the pictures of my $7 bird bath:

{{gwi:318134}}

{{gwi:326698}}

Any stuff in your garden for the animals? I would love to see more pictures. Thanks.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!