SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dorothy1958

Kiss me at the gate giving me the kiss off.

dorothy1958
13 years ago

Hello, all,

I am hoping one of you kind souls will help an obsessive novice gardener. I grew up with a plant in Montgomery, Alabama, called "kiss me at the gate." The only online reference I've found is "kiss me over the garden gate," or winter honeysuckle. This is not the same plant; the one of my memory had small, waxy flowers with a strong citrus or lemon scent that bloomed in the winter. The plants have woody stems that are lanky or weeping in shape. We had a bush that grew large enough to walk under when pruned in an umbrella shape, although the ones by a dorm at Huntingdon College were between four and five feet tall. The leaves were a soft, matte green--not a dark green like gardenias--and I believe they were opposite.

I'd like to try to purchase one of these if they are commercially available. A cutting or root (I don't think they "suckered") would be desirable, as well.

If I need to do further research, I'd appreciate any leads. Couldn't post a pic b/c I haven't seen one since around 1980! Thank you so much in advance for any help.

Comments (5)