SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hardin_gw

For the first time.......'sounds' silly, but.....

hardin
14 years ago

Two weeks ago, I didn't have a choice. I had been putting it off as long as I could, but that choice was out of my hands after they BOTH quit the same weekend. I HAD to go shopping for a new hearing aid, but after some research I already knew what I wanted. I have worn aids since I was 4, so this wasn't anything new, right? Well, I do hearing aids like some do cars, like options and power. And, boy, do I mean POWER. After a couple of days, I knew what I had been missing. And it amazed me and thrilled me.

For the first time, I heard the crickets in the evening after the sun had set. I can hear the water tumbling down my waterfall. And I was worried that it wasn't making much noise. I could hear my hubby talking to the dog, and they were way back in the bedroom. I heard my daughter whistling again. She was a major whistler when she was younger, and I thought she had quit. She hadn't. I heard the crows cawing in the trees while I was walking into work. I was able to hear the donkeys in the pasture, hee-hawing and they are not exactly in MY backyard. I can hear the swish of the grasses when the wind blows. I heard the rain all night as it poured down on the roof. I slept like a baby.

But, I also heard a few other things. I figured out I need to replace the ceiling fan in the living room. Sounds awful, like a meat grider eating quarters. I need a new muffler for my car, as a hot rod it isn't, and it sounds like it is farting, and a can of WD-40 because nearly all the door hinges in the house squeak and squall.

Don't ever take for granted your hearing or your sight. I am losing both, although slowly. God willing, I will not completely lose either, although I'd chose to be deaf rather than blind. I have Type 2 Usher Syndrome, but that's okay. There isn't anything I can do about it, so why worry about it. Right now, it is just an inconvenience in many ways, like tripping over things I didn't see. But, I just figure I will read everything I can, build what I can, draw what I can, and look and listen to my family for as long as I am able. I will listen to their laughter and remember, I will look at my girls and memorize their faces. You know, just in case. But in the meantime, between all that, I am busy playing in the yard, and in the pond. I am busy getting ready for hunting season and shooting my bow. And, maybe, just maybe, I will hear for the first time, the sound of a HUGE buck walking toward me through the leaves on the ground. And, when he does, I will be ready.

Vickie

Comments (4)